AR5 vs AR2ax huge difference

Aadams

It seems like this should have been discussed at some point over the years but I have not seen it.

Today, I was reading an old AR2ax thread  from 2012-----a vigorous contratemp regarding the meshing of the dome tweeter with the drivers of the 2 way 2a system to make the 2ax.  At one point the discussion turned to potentiometers and the frequency ranges they effect when I realized one huge advantage the AR5 possesses over the AR2ax that I have never seen explicitly stated on this site or in AR literature.

The AR5 allows output adjustment of the midrange from roughly 600 to 5000hz while the AR2ax allows midrange adjustment starting at 1400hz.  This is over an octave of extra adjustment and is significant because some the most offensive mid frequency problems occur in the octave and a half between 500 and 1500hz. 

The dome midrange certainly adds some nuance for those who care about power response, but the bigger advantage and difference is crossover frequency and ability to adjust output in a frequency range which is in no way adjustable on the AR2ax without an equalizer. 

The usual way of comparing one system to the other is to point out the dome mid range of the AR5 and its resemblance to an AR3a but in other ways the 5 is pretty much a 2ax.  Not True.  And the only way to negate the huge advantage of crossover difference is to use a graphic equalizer in which case the two systems should sound very similar with the difference being power response.

In all the discussions of 2ax vs 5 on this site I have never seen this difference covered.  

Adams

Archived