Set of AR12's for sale on wappengers falls NY CL

GD70

A heads up gents! Pretty nice set of the rare 12's with refoamed woofers and mids done by Millersound. They have the original foam grills and they are in overall nice condition. You don't see these often so here's an opportunity to own these rare speakers.

Glenn

1 hour ago, GD70 said:

Extremely good sounding speakers.

Am very pleased to see you advocating on behalf of this overlooked AR speaker product. It seems that so many collectors/restorers/flippers are so hyper-focused on the 60's and 70's models with the 12" woofers that these gems - - much like Rodney Dangerfield - - just don't get much respect. The AR-12 speaker has the unique midrange driver, but otherwise, this discussion reminds me of the oft-dismissed AR-5 which also lacks the mighty 12" woofer. In many instances, I think the 10" woofer product might be a preferable speaker selection for many home installations.     

On March 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM, ra.ra said:

Am very pleased to see you advocating on behalf of this overlooked AR speaker product. It seems that so many collectors/restorers/flippers are so hyper-focused on the 60's and 70's models with the 12" woofers that these gems - - much like Rodney Dangerfield - - just don't get much respect. The AR-12 speaker has the unique midrange driver, but otherwise, this discussion reminds me of the oft-dismissed AR-5 which also lacks the mighty 12" woofer. In many instances, I think the 10" woofer product might be a preferable speaker selection for many home installations.     

I worked at home today with the nor'easter and listened to the 12's all day. They are really so good. Extremely detailed, and the punchy deep bass is amazing!  I hope someone in the group comes to their senses and grabs these rare gems!

19 minutes ago, GD70 said:

.....and listened to the 12's all day.

It's midnight here and the snow hasn't arrived yet, but I did see that terrific video you posted elsewhere with that lovely blues tune pouring out of the AR-12's. It sounded so good even on computer speakers that I really want a pair of these now. Coincidentally, I've seen recent online auction listings for that unique mid driver, and these were NOS still in box - - might be time to put an extra one up on the shelf since they don't come along every day.

Thanks Robert!

I just checked the 12 listing and they lowered the price to 350.00.

Thanks for the tip on the mid driver. I'll take a look.

That song sounds great, good to hear it sounded good on a set of computer speakers!

Glenn

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2018 at 12:11 AM, ra.ra said:

It's midnight here and the snow hasn't arrived yet, but I did see that terrific video you posted elsewhere with that lovely blues tune pouring out of the AR-12's. It sounded so good even on computer speakers that I really want a pair of these now. Coincidentally, I've seen recent online auction listings for that unique mid driver, and these were NOS still in box - - might be time to put an extra one up on the shelf since they don't come along every day.

May I ask which site online has the NOS AR12 mids ? Thanks. I have AR12s purchased in 1976.