LST Soft Black?

Carnivore

The AR-LST Cover Letter for Technical Data Booklet found in the library indicates that the LST was available in soft black or oiled walnut.

What exactly was "Soft Black"? Was it a wood stain finish, vinyl, paint? I assume it wasn't very common as I've never seen one, other than a picture of a restored set on this site which was painted, but it wasn't clear whether that was the same as the original finish.

I've never heard that particular term (soft black), but I think it was Steve F who wrote about his experience with a pair of LST's in black. My guess is that it was probably an aniline dye coloration with a clear topcoat.

I saw black LSTs once--at the AR soundroom on Brattle St. in Cambridge in 1972. They were wood-veneered, but black-colored. Many times, speaker companies, furniture makers, etc. would take their reject "regular" wood veneer products and use those to make their black variants. That way, they didn't have to scrap anything, because a blemish or discoloration that was clearly unacceptable on a regular walnut veneer piece was easily and nicely covered over in black.

To my recollection, it was called "black," not "soft black."

They looked quite nice in black, actually, and I always fantasized whether I would choose walnut or black if I should be so fortunate as to actually be able to afford a pair. Ah, the dreams of an 18 year-old!

Steve F.

The LST was available in what was termed a "soft" black, which was actually flat-black paint over the walnut wood finish. I think it was a satin or flat black lacquer finished over the un-oiled walnut cabinet. This was done originally for professional reasons; for example, Covent Garden, The Danish Royal Opera and La Scala all used LSTs, and some wanted the black, non-reflecting finish. These are fairly unusual, but I think our friend Klaus Mollgaard has a pair in black that was finished by AR for the Danish Royal Opera (I think). I've never seen a pair that was ordered from the factory in this black finish, other than the commercial-use versions.

—Tom Tyson

post-100160-0-94762000-1363188811_thumb.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived