AR-9 woofer measurements

Carlspeak

Below is a table showing the results of testing done on four 11 inch woofers and two 8 inch woofers shortly after refoaming and with no break in.

Printouts of the original WT2 charts and full T/S data are available on request.

The 11 inch woofer p/n is 200003-1

The 8 inch woofer p/n is 200027-0

The data may be useful to those wanting to replace their original woofer with OEM's or an equivalent.

AR9 woofer refoamed stats.doc

Below is a table showing the results of testing done on four 11 inch woofers and two 8 inch woofers shortly after refoaming and with no break in.

Printouts of the original WT2 charts and full T/S data are available on request.

The data may be useful to those wanting to replace their original woofer with OEM's or an equivalent.

Hi Carl,

What type of surrounds did you use on the 8 inchers?

Roy

Thank you for the measurements. I'll find it very useful especially for any projects I decide to design myself.

I used my supplier's st'd 8 inch angle attach surround.

Carl,

The reason I asked is that I've been getting fs readings around 5 hz lower with Boston FF and JBL 116H 8 inch surrounds.

Your AR-9 data is consistent with mine.

Roy

Carl,

The reason I asked is that I've been getting fs readings around 5 hz lower with Boston FF and JBL 116H 8 inch surrounds.

Your AR-9 data is consistent with mine.

Roy

The surrounds you used have more flexibility than what I used. Do any of the historians know what the Fs spec was for brand new OEM AR-9 8 inch drivers?

The surrounds you used have more flexibility than what I used. Do any of the historians know what the Fs spec was for brand new OEM AR-9 8 inch drivers?

That is why I use them. The general rule of thumb is around 30hz for the 8 inch, around 25hz for the 10 inch woofer...and around 20hz or less for the 12" woofer. Using the high compliance/more flexible foam of the 12 inch woofer as a guide, the Boston (my favorite) and the JBL surrounds are much more like it than the the typical generic replacement surround.

Roy

Nice rules of thumb, but we still don't know for sure what the OEM specs were for those drivers. :(

I have seen the specs for 12 inch woofer, and fs is supposed to be 18hz +/- 15%. I have not seen them for the 8 or 10 inch woofers, but using higher compliance surrounds have always brought my fc measurements within the published specs for the models using them.

We both know that with old acoustic suspension speakers high compliance is a better bet than lower compliance replacement surrounds. Most suppliers today are not offering much in the way of high compliance surrounds or spiders. Why roll the dice when high compliance surrounds can still be found? Of course they cost a few bucks more, but that is not an item to cheap out on.

Maybe Tom has the actual specs for the smaller woofers, but I doubt it will tell us more than we already know.

Roy

I have seen the published specs for 12 inch woofer, and fs is to be 18hz +/- 15%. I have not seen them for the 8 or 10 inch woofers, but using higher compliance surrounds have always brought my fc measurements within the published specs for the models using them.

We both know that with old acoustic suspension speakers high compliance is a better bet than lower compliance replacement surrounds. Most suppliers today are not offering much in the way of high compliance surrounds or spiders. Why roll the dice when high compliance surrounds can still be found? Of course they cost a few bucks more, but that is not an item to cheap out on.

Maybe Tom has the actual specs for the smaller woofers, but I doubt it will tell us more than we already know.

Roy

Hi Roy,

You're right: the spec for the 12-inch woofer is 18 Hz ±15%. The spec I have for the 8-inch woofer is 27 Hz ±15%, also close to what you described earlier. The 10-inch woofer is 26 Hz.

--Tom Tyson

Hi Roy,

You're right: the spec for the 12-inch woofer is 18 Hz ±15%. The spec I have for the 8-inch woofer is 27 Hz ±15%, also close to what you described earlier. The 10-inch woofer is 26 Hz.

--Tom Tyson

Thanks Tom!

I recently had the same discussion with Ebay's Vintage AR, who had been selling generic surrounds until very recently. I was finally able to convince him otherwise, but there are many AR woofers out there re-foamed with less than ideal replacements.

Roy

Nice rules of thumb, but we still don't know for sure what the OEM specs were for those drivers. :(

don't know if it's the same part number as the 8" used in the AR18, but according to the ADD brochure on the site, the Fs of the 8" in it is 27hz.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar_truth_in_listening_broch/ar_truth_in_listening_broch_14.html

Archived