Need Advice regarding Speakers for KLH Model 20 phonograph

BillnMary

I have a KLH Model Twenty phonograph but my son upgraded my so-called outdated stereo system years ago and those speakers are gone.

But Now I would just love to hear my old records from the 50's and 60's. However, I remember being told many years ago that this phonograph works only with those KLH speakers. I don't know if regular speakers are just incompatible, or maybe the plugs are different or what.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mary

Hi Mary and welcome

There is no problem using other speakers, but the Model Twenty speakers used RCA jacks. Not a problem--you can use a speaker cable that has an RCA on one end, for the connection to the amp, and stripped wires at the other end to connect to most speakers.

The Model Twenty speakers were 4 ohm. Most speakers today are 8 ohm and some are 6 ohm. Any of those will work but the 8 ohm speakers may not play as loudly as the 4 ohm.

What was the upgrade? The M-20 speakers are (were) excellent. The M-20 turntable/amp only so-so by today's standards.

If you need more help on the specifics of hooking up speakers let us know.

Kent

Kent,

Thank you for your detailed reply. My records have been well used, and have been dropped into place by the changer many times. Plus most of the music I want to hear is not classical, but rock and roll, Irish, Greek, bluegrass, etc. I am sure my speakers will be fine.

I am south of Boston. Do you think Radio Shack will be able to help me with the plugs, or should I look for a specialty store? Thank you again.

Mary

This RS product will work:

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2102959

The RCA plug goes in the amp. The bare wires go to the speaker terminals, if you have the kind of terminals that accept bare wires. Be sure to observe polarity. The wires should be color coded in some way. Usually one wire is copper color and the other is silver color. Your speaker terminals will be marked + and - or red and black. Just be sure both speakers are hooked up the same way. If you run the copper color to + on the right speaker wire the left speaker the same way.

This may also work: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102955

Any questions just ask. If you let us know what speakers you are using or, better yet take a photo of the speaker terminals and post it, we can be sure the advice given is accurate.

It's not rocket science ;)

Kent

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi All, 

I'm brand new to this forum and I like look/sound/vibe of vintage stereos but I know nothing, nada, zilch about them.   I recently bought a KLH turntable that is in excellent condition, but they came without their speakers.  On another shopping trip I found a gorgeous pair of vintage Wharfedale W 60 c speakers.  So I have a few questions (go easy on me I am 100% a novice here)"

1.  Can I use these two together?  

2.If so,  lets move onto the next question:  I tried RCA style connections in the back of the turntable  and they seem to fit.  So I'm assuming that I'll need an RCA connection on one end, and then strip the wire at the other end of the connection to attach it to the Wharfedales?   

3.  It appears as if there's only room for one set of RCA connections.  Does it matter if the Red goes in the left or the right?
4.  I *think* this is the wire I need?  Right?  
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-Male-RCA-Audio-Cable/dp/B01D5H8P0G/ref=sr_1_3_acs_sk_pb_1_sl_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543365982&sr=1-3-acs&keywords=rca+cable

5.  Since there is only room for 1 of these sets on the back of the turntable, do I split the unit into two distinct wires (the red side and the white side), then strip the ends of each of the two to reveal the underlying wire. and then split the bundles of wires to wrap around the red/black posts on back of each of the speakers?

Any help you all could provide would be very much appreciated.  I really didn't realize as I started finding these components  that I'd be so incredibly confused.

Thanks in advance!

Erika 

IMG_5309-1.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

Archived