What is the AR9LS?

Guest jbangelfish

Guest jbangelfish

Someone has a pair of AR9LS on Audiogon. The boxes still say Teledyne. Is it different from a standard Teledyne AR9? I haven't been here for awhile, hope everyone is still enjoying their AR's. Don't remember if I ever posted after biamping my AR9's but after doing so, I'm quite amazed at the difference. I use two Parasound HCA2200 II's and the sound is fantastic. Good with CD but great with vinyl.

Bill

Guest Bret

Look at:

http://www.arsenal.net/dc/dcboard.php?az=s..._id=3494&page=2

Message #3504 from Steve F.

Very good description of both the what and why of the 9LS. Also, there is a brochure about the LS in the "library" where Mark posted all the literature.

About your bi-amped 9s; I *still* haven't gotten to try that on mine but it remains high on the list of things I want to do one day.

Bret

Guest jbangelfish

Thanks Brett, right on top of things as always. Good explanation, I wonder how they sound? I've often thought that we're missing something with both woofs side firing. Still very good but I wonder how it would sound with one forward. C'mon Brett, get that other amp, you'll love it.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bill Lloyd

I've read the responses to date, and would like to add my opinion. I remember the AR-9 as one of the greatest speakers ever made. I remember auditioning the subsequent AR-9LS and having been VERY disappointed as to its bass response in comparison with that of the AR-9. My recollection was that while the 9LS was a good speaker, it represented mostly a cheapening of the product, in an attempt by AR to boost profits. Soemone else here, in another thread, stated that one of the differences between the two was the use of cheaper crossover components in the (LS, and if so that would tend to support my recollection of the matter.

Guest Nigel

>one of the differences between the two was the use of cheaper

>crossover components in the 9LS

The crossover in the 9LS was probably $50 to $100 cheaper per speaker, just compare the circuit diagrams - which are elsewhere on this site.

The 9LS cicuitry does not have the bass extension and frequency response flattening of the 9 circuitry. One of the woofers was moved around front and one to a downward facing position to load it against the floor (not uncommon in present subwoofer designs); in an attempt to compensate.

The 9 is an extremely well thoughtout and optimized system. It is incredibly hard to improve, and incredibly easy to make worse.

I agree. Unless someone is running one amp that is capable of PHENOMENAL amounts of power, you really need two "good sized" amps to do the 9's justice. Two of the larger Adcom's or Parasounds would really start to get you into where you need to be. In my experience, you really need even more power than that, especially with stock unmodified 9's. Sensible modifications improve efficiency a bit with the biggest improvements in tonal balance really opening the sound up quite a bit. Due to the increased midrange and treble response, you don't need to throttle the speakers as hard to get as much apparent volume out of them. Sean

>

Archived