OLD SCHOOL ADVENT PERFORMANCE???

ITCHIJO

GENTLEMAN: I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS ERRATIC SOUND COMING FROM A SET OF OLD SCHOOL ADVENT SPEAKERS. THESE ARE THE WOOD RING WOOFERS AND THE PROTRUDING TWEETERS IN THE LARGE ADVENT CABINETS. PREVIOUS OWNER SAID HE HAD GONE OVER THE SPEAKERS AND REPLACED THE FOAM SURROUNDS. HE SEEMED TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLE OF THE SPEAKERS AND THEY HAD PERFORMED VERY STRONGLY IN THE DEMO OF THEM. MY QUESTION IS CAN THE CROSSOVERS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS BE LOSING THEIR CAPABILITIES OF THEIR ORIGINAL PERFORMANCE? AND IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A CROSSOVER CAN GO WITH NO REAL HARD DRIVING FORCE OF MUSIC AND NOT THE TWEETERS? ANY INPUT INTO MY QUESTION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! "ITCHIJO"

Merry Xmas back to you!

Just because the PO (previous owner) re-foamed them (and if he did it correctly?) doesn't mean that he replaced the by-now weakened capacitors inside.

I have run into many "flippers" that do the bare-bones minimum of re-furb so as to re-sell an old classic for a profit - not saying that is what you have, but likely so. That plus I know more than a few who take the position that as long as it is "not broke" - don't fix it.

Many of these hi-fi companies did not expect their products to still be in use 40-years or so later, and so did not spend on lifetime-quality components so as to build them to a certain profit margin. Fresh capacitors are cheap mods to restore the sound to what they were when they left the factory. Good luck and have a great new year!

ADVENT BROTHERS: I AM THANKFUL THAT THE CONCERNED EDUCATED MEN ON THIS TOPIC ARE QUITE WILLING TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE!!! AND I WISH TO THANK "nfafan" FOR HIS RESPECTED INPUT!!! I AM NEEDING TO CHECK WITH A ELECTRONICS REPAIRMAN FOR HIS PRICING AND AVAILABILITY TO DO THESE CROSSOVERS, AND BRING BACK THAT SWEET OL' HENRY' s SOUND!!! THANK YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YA'LL!!!

Archived