AR-11 damage / repair....?

Guest Mr Hobo

Guest Mr Hobo

i've come across some old AR-11 speakers in an old house that my step-grandma was movin out of, and i have some questions, since i'm kinda new to the speaker world:

when i first got them, i noticed that the foam around one woofer was in the process of deteriorating, and the foam on the other was almost completely gone. i didnt know much about the speakers, and just figured i'd run em till they ran no more, and get some new ones; but after some research, i've decided that i want to get them either a) repaired, or B) repair the foam myself. BUT....

is it possible that i've done any permanent damage over the past couple of weeks by using them without the supporting foam on one woofer? also, how expensive would it be if i took them to a shop to get refoamed? and lastly, i've found an AR refoaming kit on ebay for about 20 bucks, which seems reasonable, but i've never done anything of the sort before; would you recommend that i try it?

ordering new woofers is not an option, i dont have that much money, and i like the speakers too much to throw them out...also, on the foam website, it says i need to tell them if the angle of the foam is flat or sloped; i'm still a bit confused, anyone with AR-11s out there that can enlighten me?

thanks SO much for your time, i LOVE these speakers and wanna keep usin them for a while.

Guest Bret

>is it possible that i've done any permanent damage over the past couple of weeks by using them without the supporting foam on one woofer?<

Yes, but maybe not, too.

>also, how expensive would it be if i took them to a shop to get refoamed?<

Likely anywhere from $30-40. You could probably get it entirely reconed for $70. Whatever you do, do not throw them away. They are worth repairing even if the voice coils are ruined.

> and lastly, i've found an AR refoaming kit on ebay for about 20 bucks, which seems reasonable, but i've never done anything of the sort before; would you recommend that i try it?<

Some people swear it is no bid deal. Personally, being paranoid and knowing my plumbing skills, my china-glueing skills, etc, I send mine away to be thoroughly checked and re-whatever-they-needed.

It is important that the surrounds be the right ones and that they are applied correctly. If you think you like those speakers now, wait until you get them repaired. You'll be in love.

What a find!

Bret

Guest Mr Hobo

alright, thanks...i think i found a shop around town that'll re-do it; also, what would be the advantages of re-coning over re-foaming? cause to me, the cones look fine...

thanks for the info.

Guest dogmeninreno

>alright, thanks...i think i found a shop around town that'll

>re-do it; also, what would be the advantages of re-coning over

>re-foaming? cause to me, the cones look fine...

>

>thanks for the info.

No real advantage in my opinion unless the cones are torn or damaged. Refoaming by a qualified repair shop would reveal if and damage is existing. Dale

Guest Mr Hobo

cool, i'll stick with the re-foaming and trust them to tell me if its damaged further. hopefully i'll get it done on monday.

Guest Bret

>what would be the advantages of re-coning over re-foaming? <

None that I'm aware of.

The only time I would "recone" a speaker is when there is when refoaming isn't an option due to damage to the voice coils.

Bret

Guest Mr Hobo

alright, well, in the meantime, i'm using some other old speakers i found; these are proably older than the ARs, but they've got some different foam that hasnt deteriorated, and some wierd symbol that i can't read; on the back, it says epicure products. they're decent too, but dont match the ARs, and are quite a bit smaller. o well, they'll work until i can get the ARs repaired. i just dont want to damage the ARs further.

Archived