KLH Model 5 Crossover 1967?

paulalan1

Thanks to all the members that have documented Model 5 crossover rebuilds here, especially JKent and Carlspeak. I found my 5's about 4 years ago and today I replaced my first capacitors ever and knew exactly what to expect when I pulled them out, because of all the info here on classicspeakers.

Just to add to the knowledge/history base of the Model 5 I thought it would be helpful to upload a few pics of the crossover which seems to be a fairly early run version5a10f2e326c57_x-overone.thumb.jpg.d079c4317a6bd9f5471b8642e30281fc.jpg

This version has the 2x2uF capacitor.and the 2x4uF capacitor, these seem to cause confusion for some people, and I definitely would have been lost without the knowledge shared here.

Backside crossover plate

Number 350 on the back of crossover.

Serial #'s are 05946 & 05943, the M-5 test date "appears" to be October 30 1967. It is very faded but when held just right in the light that's what I see.

I haven't pulled the other crossover so maybe it'll be legible on it.

Speaker build date is Nov. 27 1967 a month after.5a10f4168c214_speakermagnetforweb.thumb.jpg.838c1491e4a2aad9289793b04322a094.jpg

A few other points.

The the tone control knobs on this version have small set screws holding them on. I think this changed on later versions and they just pull off and don't have set screws.

When removing the crossover all I did was take off the tone knobs, the speaker thumb nuts and the nuts holding them to the backplate, unscrewed the screws inside the cabinet and it came right out. The plate stayed attached to the cabinet. I "think" I've seen different versions of how these come out?

The cloth behind the woofer protecting it from the fiberglass packing, was the same black cloth used on the backside of the grills.

I believe I have seen some with a white cloth there.

Hope this is of some use to someone along the way and many, many thanks to everyone here for all the info on these wonderful speakers.

Paul

Edit: I just saw where Mr. Carl is no longer with us. Rest in Peace.

x-over one for web.jpg

Archived