AR-30b's Need Help

Guest davee

Guest davee

I recently found a pair of AR-30b's in a dumpster near my house. After a quick testing, the tweeter seems to be functioning fine, but the woofer does not respond at all. There is no physical or obvious damage to either woofer both on the surface and internally (I removed them to take a look), but they do not reproduce any sound, period.

Given that the cabinets are in almost perfect shape (just a few minor blemishes near the back edges of the cabs) are they worth repairing? Secondly, if they are worth the investment, what should be my next step to fixing them?

Thanks for the help,

DaveE

Have Bill Miller at Millersound repair your woofers. He does the best job I have ever seen, and his prices are great too! He specializes in AR woofers.

Millersound

1422 Taylor RD

Landsdale PA 19446

215-412-7700

He can fix any woofer even if it is blown. If he cant fix it, you might be able to obtain replacements from AB Tech Service 1-800-225-9847.

Guest davee

That would be great if I were in the area. Unfortunately, It would probably cost almost as much to ship them as it will to get them fixed (just a guess), so I don't think that will be worth it.

Besides, I feel that I am competent enough with electronics to fix them myself, if I know the right information. (I do quite a bit of computer repair work as part of my job.)

Thanks for the input though!

DaveE

Guest Brian_D

Since you have some electrical training, there is one thing you can do to check the likelihood of their repair. (the woofers)

Put an ohm meter on the terminals of the woofers and observe the reading. If the reading is open, there are two likely cases: 1. One or both of the leads from the terminal to the woofer cone are not making contact with the coil. - or - 2. The coil has somehow been damaged and is no longer in tact.

If the reading is a dead short, the coil is making contact with the gap. Either the coil has unwound or the pole piece has seperated from the woofer.

If you get 8 ohms, there's something else wrong, and the woofer may not be the culprit.

In any case, the repair of these woofers shoud be performed by a competent expert in the field.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
Guest davee

Well, I checked the woofer contacts and they both have an almost perfect 4ohm rating (surprisingly, not 8ohms). Must be something else. Is there a way to check the rest of the components in the cabs?

Thanks,

DaveE

Guest dogmeninreno

>Well, I checked the woofer contacts and they both have an

>almost perfect 4ohm rating (surprisingly, not 8ohms). Must be

>something else. Is there a way to check the rest of the

>components in the cabs?

>

>Thanks,

>

>DaveE

I would take a 1-1/2volt battery and touch the woofer + terminal to the battery + and using a wire on the negative terminal touch that lead to the battery -. Don't leave it connected just tap it. The woofer cone should move out when the battery is connected. If it does, reinstall the leads that went to the woofer and repeat the test on the terminals that you connect your anp to. Be sure to disconnect the amp. You should get the same results that you got on the woofer test. If you don't, the problem is in the wiring or xover and you will have to trace where the voltage is lost. Dale

Guest davee

So, it looks as though the woofer itself is probably the culprit. There is no movment from either driver what so ever, and if I test the rest of the circuitry, I get average readings (from the leads inside the cab, about 1.7v from the 1.5v battery). In any case, it looks like I'll be needing new woofers on these cabs after all. Unless I'm missing another possiblity.

If the drivers are bad my next question is, where and what should I replace them with? Again, the speaker model is an AR-30b and the back of both damaged drivers is stamped with the following:

AR

1-2100740B

K52TNB

Guest dogmeninreno

>So, it looks as though the woofer itself is probably the

>culprit. There is no movment from either driver what so ever,

>and if I test the rest of the circuitry, I get average

>readings (from the leads inside the cab, about 1.7v from the

>1.5v battery). In any case, it looks like I'll be needing new

>woofers on these cabs after all. Unless I'm missing another

>possiblity.

>

>If the drivers are bad my next question is, where and what

>should I replace them with? Again, the speaker model is an

>AR-30b and the back of both damaged drivers is stamped with

>the following:

>

>AR

>1-2100740B

>K52TNB

>

>Personally, I would send the woofers to a good repair shop. I am not that familiar with the 30b to be more helpful. In which part of the country do you reside? I am on the west coast and use a service out of Sacramento CA. There are several. Shy away from Layne Audio as they are almost impossible to contact. Dale

Have Bill Miller at Millersound repair your woofers. He does the best job I have ever seen, and his prices are great too! He specializes in AR woofers.

Millersound

1422 Taylor RD

Landsdale PA 19446

215-412-7700

Ground shipping for the woofers shouldent be that much.

He can fix any woofer even if it is blown. However if for some reason he cant fix it, you might be able to obtain replacements from AB Tech Service 1-800-225-9847.

Guest dogmeninreno

>So, it looks as though the woofer itself is probably the

>culprit. There is no movment from either driver what so ever,

>and if I test the rest of the circuitry, I get average

>readings (from the leads inside the cab, about 1.7v from the

>1.5v battery). In any case, it looks like I'll be needing new

>woofers on these cabs after all. Unless I'm missing another

>possiblity.

>

>If the drivers are bad my next question is, where and what

>should I replace them with? Again, the speaker model is an

>AR-30b and the back of both damaged drivers is stamped with

>the following:

>

>AR

>1-2100740B

>K52TNB

>

>

FYI: AR30 -

Floor standing acoustic suspension 2way system with

units in a vertical array

10" acoustic suspension woofer, 1" liquid cooled dome

highrange driver

10-100 watts power handling

-3db points at 46hz and at 22,000hz

8ohms nominal, 6.3 ohms minimum point

Crossover freq. - 1800hz

Each speaker weighs 34 1/2 lbs

Guest davee

>Have Bill Miller at Millersound repair your woofers. He does

>the best job I have ever seen, and his prices are great too!

>He specializes in AR woofers.

>

>Millersound

>1422 Taylor RD

>Landsdale PA 19446

>215-412-7700

>

>Ground shipping for the woofers shouldent be that much.

>

>He can fix any woofer even if it is blown. However if for some

>reason he cant fix it, you might be able to obtain

>replacements from AB Tech Service 1-800-225-9847.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I was truly impressed with them when I called this morning. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how they turn out.

DaveE

Archived