AR-9, piece of cake

Guest Tim Koster

Guest Tim Koster

Since about 20 year I have been looking for AR-9 speakers. They are difficult to get in The Netherlands and quit expensive. As a bass player I am always interested in low frequencies. My set of Goodmans Magister speakers did a good job, however, they are not AR-9. One year ago a collegue told me he had found a pair of huge pillar-like speakers in the cellar of an relative who had passed away. When I saw the set I was happy and sad. Happy as they were AR-9's, sad about the condition of the surrounds. I told him that I could not pay a lot of money for them. He was happy with 1 box of cake (25 euro=dollar)! After getting info on the internet, I found the surrounds (75 dollar) and after some hours of repair, which was also a piece of cake, they are now in perfect condition.

So 20 years of waiting, 2 pieces of cake and 100 dollar gave me the best low frequecy producers I've ever heard.

Question, does anyone have info on my old set Goodmans Magister, 3-way, 15inch woofer?

Tim

• 1 year later...
Guest bovski

Hi, Tim!

My name is George. I also have got Goodmans Magister speakers and haven't got any information about them. I have seen your earler massage in the internet and would like to ask you if you found out any information ( technical specification, date of issue, etc.) I will be very grateful if you will write me something about this model or tell me any site.

Sincerely yours,

George

• 7 months later...

Re Goodmans Magister Speakers.

I have been using a pair of these speakers since about 1972. They are rated at 50 watts RMS 4-8 ohm. As they are much more sensitive than some higher wattage speakers you get now. You would be hard pressed to run them in a home environment at anthing like 50 watts RMS. That means that your amplifier finds it easy to drive them so it works well within it's capabilities. They are of infinite baffle design and even though the 15 inch woofer is of a long throw design it does not usually move that much to produce prodigeous amounts of very low bass. The frequency response of these speakers is 26Hz-22kHz so it is way down to sub-woofer territoy. I have used mine over all these years with 25 watt amplifiers playing pretty flatly recorded vinyl to powerful amplifiers playing dynamic CDs and these speakers do not disappoint. I'm not selling mine any time soon! Bass is effortless, not pumped out as you sometimes sense it with speakers in which the cone operates more like a piston. The crossover frequencies for the 4 inch mid range and the 1 inch tweeter are 800Hz and 5kHz. They cost £62.50 when Quad Electrostatics cost £66. You can't shake your house properly with Electrostatics! It was the exceptionally low bass frequency response that decided me on these speakers. At that time nothing else could go that deep. If you have the room for them (they are BIG)and ever get the chance to buy a pair, don't hesitate. there is nothing out there like them. The cabinets are beautifully made and of much thicker materials than normal. This was the golden age for British made Hi-Fi but sadly most of those companies are long gone!

Archived