DQ-20 woofer refoam

phivates

I just refoamed a pair of woofers using correct surrounds from MSound, which fit perfectly on OLA drivers but these latter-day 1987 (Jensen?) masonite ring bits seem misaligned by at least 3/16". Were they badly assembled in the first place? By misaligned I mean relative to a flat spider at rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what, exactly, Regnar is offering, but suspect it may be the same woofer Simply Speakers and Madisound sells as a Advent replacement. I've used that woofer and it test's great above 60 hz but it's bass extension doesn't come close to OEM. Spider is too stiff.

Thanks for the response. Regnar offers no details but I would gladly replace the defective (I think) originals with something that fits well with the mid and high frequency pieces of the DQ-20, which are not discount bin bits like the woofer. Great above 60 hz is not what we want with an otherwise high end speaker system.

Decided to re-do the original, since I have a spare pair of foams and the ability to add a masonite shim to the factory bit. Annoying to say the least but these things have to go away, nice as they are. Would be different if I had money to throw at them, but all I have is time and it is running out. Regarding the NA style replacement: 30 oz sounds like a bit too much for a sealed 10". Just guessing.

• 1 month later...

Just talked to someone at Regnar/Dahlquist who told me that my refoam result is consistent with the DQ-20 original. Instead of the usual flat spider at rest these post Advent drivers are aligned to be as mine turned out. Seems wrong to have the spider and surround to be in tension but what do I know? 

FM

Archived