Fusing info

ninohernes

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but what fuse would be appropriate for AR-3a connected to a 200 watt amplifier? Is what AR originally suggested appropriate, or is there a better one? Also, I got my AR-XB turntable back yesterday. I had the tonearm modified to accept modern plug in headshells, it aligns and tracks very nicely!

Guest dogmeninreno

>I know this has probably been discussed to death, but what

>fuse would be appropriate for AR-3a connected to a 200 watt

>amplifier? Is what AR originally suggested appropriate, or is

>there a better one? Also, I got my AR-XB turntable back

>yesterday. I had the tonearm modified to accept modern plug in

>headshells, it aligns and tracks very nicely!

Maybe this will save Tom a post? I found this on one of his comments. I installed these on my 3a's and have had no problems yet. Fusing is tricky. I am driving them at 250 watts per channel. Dale...

By Tom:

"During the 1960s, the recommended fuse for the AR-1, AR-3, AR-3t was the Bussman Fusetron FNM 8/10-amp, slow-blow, dual-element fuse. This fuse will "open" with peaks of 200-250 watts. "That was then, and this is now," as they say, and one probably should not now attempt to test the limits of the AR-3 power-handling capability."

• 3 months later...

>>I know this has probably been discussed to death, but what

>>fuse would be appropriate for AR-3a connected to a 200 watt

>>amplifier? Is what AR originally suggested appropriate, or

>is

>>there a better one? >

>Maybe this will save Tom a post? I found this on one of his

>comments. I installed these on my 3a's and have had no

>problems yet. Fusing is tricky. I am driving them at 250 watts

>per channel. Dale...

>By Tom:

>"During the 1960s, the recommended fuse for the AR-1, AR-3,

>AR-3t was the Bussman Fusetron FNM 8/10-amp, slow-blow,

>dual-element fuse. This fuse will "open" with peaks of 200-250

>watts. "That was then, and this is now," as they say, and one

>probably should not now attempt to test the limits of the AR-3

>power-handling capability."

>

Hi there

Way back when, we could, and I certainly ordered my share of fuses and fuse blocks from AR. They were sold to us at their cost. I have packed up fusing information and price sheet from AR for the blocks and fuses back then. I believe that the fuses alone now are about $5.00 cdn each and I don't remember when I last saw the fuse blocks. I would suggest an inline fuseholder and use 1 amp fast blow fuses. Heath used 5 amp fast blow in their AS-103 if my memory serves me right. I have used the Fusetrons and fast blows. Obviously you can't turn up the volume as much with the fast blow but they are only about $.25 each. Sure beats blowing a tweeter which you can find for $30.00 +/- on eBay. Increase fuse size at your own risk but if you go too high the tweeter will be the next weak link. If you truly enjoy hifi I have found that the 1 amp fast blow fuse allows for a very comfortable volume level. My advice is for anyone to insert a fuse in any speaker system. I have read that the damping factor is affected but remember $.25. Sleep easier. Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived