AR3 or AR3A

Guest Sluf2

Guest Sluf2

I am going to buy a set of AR speakers and would like to know the difference between the AR3 & AR3A. I am new to tube stereo's and classic speakers so be easy. I have bought an ST70, PAS Amplifier, and an looking for a FM tuner.

Thanks in advance.

bl

Guest dogmeninreno

>I am going to buy a set of AR speakers and would like to know

>the difference between the AR3 & AR3A. I am new to tube

>stereo's and classic speakers so be easy. I have bought an

>ST70, PAS Amplifier, and an looking for a FM tuner.

>

>Thanks in advance.

>bl

Good question. I believe that it all up to your ears. Both are great vintage speakers. I prefer the AR3a but AR3's sound good too. Collecters seem to prefer the 3's but it's kind of a personal choice. Dale

Guest Droog

The model 3 has a 2" dome midrange and a 1 1/2" dome tweeter with cross over frequencies of 1000Hz and 7500 Hz. The 3a has a 1 1/2" dome midrange and a 3/4" dome tweeter with cross over frequencies of 575 Hz and 5000 Hz. The AR 3 was introduced in 1958 and discontinued in 1973. The AR 3a was introduced in 1967 and discontinued in 1975. Both models could be ordered with a unfinished pine, mahogany, birch, oiled walnut, glossy walnut, oiled teak, or a cherry cabinet. average prices were $225. for the model 3 and $250. for the model 3a. I think most people feel that the 3a has a more refined high frequency response. In 1969 AR said that " The 3a is the best speaker system we know how to make"

Archived