Wiring new level controls for 3a's

Guest russwollman

Guest russwollman

Can someone explain to me in simple terms how to connect new pots into my 3a's? I have looked at the Layne Audio "New AR3a Crossover Schematic but I'm not well-versed in these matters, and I'm still recovering from hoisting the woofer from the cabinet and seeing that elephantine magnet...a scary beast. These AR guys obviously didn't mess around. This is one high-density, high-content speaker.

The new pots are labeled:

1, which = original terminal 2;

2, which = original terminal B;

3, which = original terminal 1.

Inside the cabinet there are 2 large coils and 1 small coil, a little box from the Industial Condensor Corp. in Chicago, and a big box the size of a large transistor radio well-strapped to the cabinet.

I have recently wired these same new controls into some 2ax's. Maybe the 3a's will be done in the same way?

I realize you may need more information about these speakers to answer, and I'll provide that. You can email me directly russwollman@yahoo.com if convenient.

Thanks very much!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest russwollman

Well, Russ, here's how it's done. You make a post on a website asking for advice. Forty or more people look at it, and, figuring it's not a sexy enough matter, they go back to eating their rice and vegetables while they look for a more exciting question, ignoring the fact that eating while fooling around with a computer is not good at all for the digestion...

So you study a few schematics, shake your head a bit when you see that the wiring for the new controls is quite a lot different from the old ones, and worry when you've lost the email address of the one guy who sent you a useful and informative drawing which he went to a lot of trouble to dig from his files. Finally, you wonder why you bought such Large and Heavy Old Loudspeakers as these in the first place, since you already had all those Advents that were quite good enough.

Heat up the soldering iron, and soldier on...the answer will come at the appropriate time.

> You make a post on a website asking for advice. Forty or more people look at it, and, figuring it's not a sexy enough matter, they go back to eating their rice and vegetables while they look for a more exciting question, ignoring the fact that eating while fooling around with a computer is not good at all for the digestion...<

Russ, be fair. I'm one of the 40+ who looked at your post. I didn't know the answer so I didn't reply.

I suspect others didn't know the answer, either, since, as you noted, the wiring on the new is not the same as the old.

It isn't an unwillingness to help, or an unsexiness, it was an inability to help.

Bret

Guest russwollman

Bret, every morning I look in the mirror and ask, who's the fairest of them all, and the mirror hasn't cracked yet...but there's always tomorrow!

I was trying to humor myself. The speaker projects I started months ago have been stalled for so long I might just turn them into kindling. Someone out there knows the answer to this riddle.

You're off the hook. Thanks for saying that you don't know.

I got myself into a corner expecting an answer, which sometimes, as we all know, must come from within, especially when dealing with the inner life of a loudspeaker ;-).

Guest russwollman

Well, the answer finally came, and the new level controls are nicely in place. End of story. Happy ever after. Sixteen speakers all woofing and tweeting and ranging the mid now.

Gooood night...

Archived