AR-4x woofer design

ninohernes

I have a few questions, here are pictures of two AR-4x woofers. The one with the smaller magnet is like the ones in my 4x's. The larger one, I saw on ebay. Why was there this magnet change? Also, I was thinking about replacing the pots in my 4x's, or cleaning the old ones. I would really like to keep the old ones. Is there anyone here who has the tools to clean the old ones?

post-100523-1076975440.jpg

post-100523-1076975531.jpg

Guest dogmeninreno

>I have a few questions, here are pictures of two AR-4x

>woofers. The one with the smaller magnet is like the ones in

>my 4x's. The larger one, I saw on ebay. Why was there this

>magnet change? Also, I was thinking about replacing the pots

>in my 4x's, or cleaning the old ones. I would really like to

>keep the old ones. Is there anyone here who has the tools to

>clean the old ones?

Cleaning the pots is relatively simple providing they are not real corroded. You need a Dremel with a wire brush and some dielectric grease or WD40 (small hands help too).In fact there is a recent post on that subject. The woofers may be a difference in mfg. dates. Someone else will have to answer that part.

>I have a few questions, here are pictures of two AR-4x

>woofers. The one with the smaller magnet is like the ones in

>my 4x's. The larger one, I saw on ebay. Why was there this

>magnet change? Also, I was thinking about replacing the pots

>in my 4x's, or cleaning the old ones. I would really like to

>keep the old ones. Is there anyone here who has the tools to

>clean the old ones?

Joe,

There were two variations of the AR-4/AR-4x woofer magnet, one with the larger-appearing magnet and one smaller. Actually, the magnets are pretty much the same since they are in fact the pole-piece, and fall inside the 1-1/2-inch voice coil. The magnetic structure, or "iron," is larger on one than the other, but the end result was apparently very close to the same. The larger one was the earlier version in most cases. I think most of these woofers were custom-manufactured for AR to AR specs by CTS, where also the 3-1/2-inch AR-2ax midrange was made.

You can clean the original level controls (Aetna-Pollock) on AR speakers without a Dremel tool, but it takes more effort. If you get some very fine (800 or 1000) sandpaper, you can clean them this way. You virtually must unsolder and remove the controls from the speakers, though, as it is very difficult to get inside the enclosure to work on them. It takes no special skill, but it does take lots of patience. Some controls are so badly corroded that cleaning is all but impossible, and in that case you should try to find some controls on eBay or somewhere. The original controls work really well when they are clean, but it's always a struggle to get them right. You could always ask someone else to do it, if you can find someone willing.

--Tom Tyson

Guest dogmeninreno

>They are quite corroded, and I dont have a Dremel.

Joe, I have several original level controls that need cleaning and would be happy to send you a couple if you will send yours back to me for the clean ones. You can make a paypal donation to Mark in lieu of any charges. Let me know ok? Dale in Reno.....

Guest dogmeninreno

>That sounds good! There is one other thing, and I feel so

>stupid about this. When I opened one of them to look inside, I

>misplaced the clip that holds the two pieces together, Im not

>sure that there is anything you can use in place of the old

>clip.

Oops! I have some extra clips so don't worry. I will be cleaning a few pots next week and if you email me your address, I will send you a couple. Dale

Joe,

I know this goes without saying, but you should make a drawing of the crossover with color-coded wiring, so you can precisely re-assembly the level controls when you get the replacement units. There is also a guide pin on the level control, and a detent mark on the masonite board for proper re-alignment. This is so the control will go back in properly, and the "dot" is lined up with the correct position on the control, etc.

--Tom Tyson

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dogmeninreno

>I have had my original 4x pots cleaned, I installed them, and

>boy, what a difference! I had been using Layne Audio

>replacements until now, and I must say that the original level

>controls sound, and work much better than the new ones!

Hey Joe, Did you get the original pots that I cleaned and sent you last week?? Please send your other ones back and make a donation to Mark as we agreed? Thanks, Dale in Reno.....

Guest dogmeninreno

>The pots I installed are the ones you sent me. I will be

>mailing you my old ones back tomorrow or Wednesday. (Sorry if

>I confused you, I kind of worded the last post wrong)

Joe, I am glad they worked good for you, Dale in Reno....

Guest Droog

For AR 4x production info check www.directacoustics.com and go to their messge board. Winslow Burhoe(creator of Direct Acoustics speakers) says the 4x was his project when he was at Acoustic research in the mid 60's.

>For AR 4x production info check www.directacoustics.com and

>go to their messge board. Winslow Burhoe(creator of Direct

>Acoustics speakers) says the 4x was his project when he was

>at Acoustic research in the mid 60's.

He was, I believe, a technician working at AR at the time of the AR-4x, and may have contributed in some way, but the overall design and execution of the AR-4x belonged to Roy Allison. I believe that Burhoe made some significant contributions subsequently at the company he formed, Eipcure Products, and the tweeter he developed (which used a convex-dome diaphram) was excellent.

--Tom Tyson

Archived