8" mid range speaker needed

Guest henningsoilen

Depends on what "dead" means exactly. What is dead about it and how did it get that way?

Generally speaking, my advice is going to be to avoid the replacement drivers sold by AB Tech which impart a "forward" sound (in my opinion). Instead I would send your current 8" for repair if it is repairable.

Bret

Just as an aside - One of these drivers (condition unknown) sold on eBay for about $25. There is at least one available (condition unknown) at audioclassics.com for $50.

Bret

Guest henningsoilen

Thanks for the quick response. I have asked audioclassics for a quote inlcluded shipping all the way to Norway. BTW, I used an ohm- meter directly on the midrange element and it showed an open circuit. Most likely one of my teenagers is responsible for the situation. If repairable, where would be the place to send it?

Henning

>Most likely one of my teenagers is responsible for the situation. If repairable, where would be the place to send it?<

From Norway? I really do not know. There must be someone who does this in northern Europe, I just don't know who or where.

There are several people in the U.S. you could send it to if you want that expensive option. Other contributors could give you contact information for Bill Miller, Layne Audio, and others in the U.S. I will feel much better about recommending someone after I see/hear their craftsmanship (should be fairly soon, since I am expecting my original 8" drivers back any day now).

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Tidwell at Layne Audio typically has these 8's available most of the time. Only problem here is getting ahold of him. I've purchased several of these from him in the past and never had any problems with any of them. Sean

>

>Mr Tidwell at Layne Audio typically has these 8's available most of the time. Only problem here is getting ahold of him. <

Says he's "awash" in them, but for whatever reason he can't seem to get a pair sent to me.

Bret

• 1 month later...
Guest henningsoilen

Thanks Bret, for sending me in the right direction. I got hold of that 8" midrange from AudioClassics and it works fine. I did the 1.5v battery test to check the phase on my woofers just to find out that one of them is fried too. Most of the time I play music in a 6.1 setup with a seperate sub woofer. I guess thats why I haven't noticed before. These speakers are of course very precious to me. In other words I am still ready to spend a considerable amount of money to keep them in a healty condition. After 20 years I am still not ready to retire them unless you people out here tell me otherwise. A preferred option for me would be to get hold of a complete set of spare speaker elements due to the fact that I am located on the other side of the world :) As a start that 12" woofer has to be replaced or fixed. Please advice what to do and whom to contact.

Any other recommendations for revitalizing or modernazing the speakers are also appreciated.

BTW! I have replaced the power amps into a more modern design with a huge torrodial transformer and power circuts consisting of 2 times 8 2SC5400/2SA1943 in parallell. There should be enough current to avoid any clipping. Hopefully this will lower the risk for any future disasters.

Regards

Henning

Guest Brian_D

Replacement drivers are not difficult to obtain for this speaker (right now) though I don't know if anyone here has ever listened to the replacements to verify their appropriateness for these cabinets. You can basically "build" an AR9 with replacement drivers, only the crossover and cabinet would be lacking but again, would it sound the same?

Original drivers are few and far between, I'm afraid. I saw a pair of the (practicaly non-existant) upper midrange drivers go for $300 on ebay... hardly an economical solution, but they were original, never used drivers. The tweeters are almost as rare. The mid woofers are more common, and the 12" are pretty common. It's likely that there is a pair on eBay right now, or will be within the month.

If you are concerned about protecting these speakers (as I was when I received mine) a fuse can go a long way in protecting the relatively robust drivers. There is some information on this site about doing that very thing.

Good luck!

Archived