Dynaco A-150 speakers

ra.ra

OK .... full disclosure .... I've always been an AR guy when it comes to loudspeakers, but I have had a great deal of enjoyment with Dynaco separate electronics, even though I've never lived with any Dynaco speakers. Generally, I really like the Dynaco company and the niche it filled, and I've always had great respect for many of their products.

Today I stumbled on some Dynaco A-150 speakers, which were something of a mystery to me, but still intriguing. I only had a very quick peek at them before the store closed, but here's my best description at a glance. These had cheesy vinyl simulated walnut cabinets (..sigh..), but are heavy, dense, two-way 'bookshelf' style speakers. No ports, probably acoustic suspension. Continuosly variable tweeter control on back, hefty woofer with rubber surround, and an unknown (Seas?) tweeter. They look like the image attached here.

Definitely not 60's .... probably not 70's ....... most likely an 80's incarnation, but information is very limited. Any clues, hints, tips or guesses regarding the lineage of this particular model?

post-112624-0-76681400-1371256089_thumb.

The following info was on Greg Duns' Dynaco Company History website

"After Dynaco closed, another company (apparently the Canadian subsidiary, though the details are not clear; obviously someone still owned the Dyna branding for loudspeakers at that time) released the Dynaco A-150, A-250, and A-350 speakers which were manufactured in Canton, MA. Reaction to these units was not favorable, and they disappeared from the review magazines in the mid-1980s."

Archived