AR9 Foam Speaker Repair

Guest iceman

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help that you could give me. I am looking to have my AR9 and AR3a woofers re-foamed, and was wondering if anyone could recommend someone in the Boston MA area who is qualified to do this. The other alternative would be for me to buy the parts by mail order, and attempt to do this myself. I would welcome any advice or opinions. Thanks.

>was wondering if anyone could recommend someone in the Boston MA area who is qualified to do this<

I can't help you with "in the Boston area" so haven't replied, but since nobody else did I'll tell you what I can.

There is a man, Bill Miller, in PA who has had nothing but praise from members here. There is a shop in FL (Simply Speakers) that does a lot of this and I have seen and heard speakers they have repaired which sounded good to me, but we'll know more about how good a job they do later as some of their handiwork is being tested by a forum contributor.

I would not attempt this myself, although I'm fairly certain that with a little practice you or I could become proficient. It isn't just a matter of cleaning off the old and gluing on the new, exactly.

Bret

New England Speaker refoamed all 6 of my AR9 Woofers and lower mids.

They are in Stoneham. He did a good job for about $35 per. On his business card it say's "Master Reconer" so he must be good, right?

Bret,

Things are coming along here... I'm really digging into these woofers. So far, the drivers with replaced surrounds look pretty decent. There are interesting differences between the 3a and 303 woofers, in terms of motor and suspension. It will actually take a while to cull all the data into something readily understandable.

Film at 11.

post-100178-1070672597.jpg

>Things are coming along here... I'm really digging into these woofers.<

Nice shot, Ken. (the picture) I'm very pleased to hear that resurrounding them hasn't destroyed them.

Seeing the driver in that clamp did bring to mind interrogation scenes from the movies. "This may be your last opportunity to breath in the free air, my friend. We want to know what information you passed along on your recent excursion! Tell me what I want to know. . . we have ways of making you talk. Otto, bring the electrodes!"

I'm sure there are several of us looking forward to your analysis and conclusions. Your work will likely benefit AR-enthusiasts in various ways for some time into the future. Although you have from time to time alluded to pressure you feel to conclude this, for my own part (no pun intended), please rest assured that there is no hurry.

Bret

>Give up! You are surrounded!!:)

I could help but think of Douglas Adams' [RIP] line, "Yes, you see, they are particularly clever hyper-intelligent, pan-dimensional beings."

I can't best what you've already done, so I'm only about to embarrass myself, but lemme see if I can cause physical pain with this somehow tangentially unrelated one:

"Spider to have moved and gaussed than never to have moved at all."

Bret

>If you were female<

As you cone imagine, the very idea phased me. But not even the willing suspension of disbelief would put me in compliance.

Former girlfriend? No sensitivity or no output?

(if we don't quit Tom and Steve are going to ask Mark to ban us)

Your turn.

Bret

Archived