Hi, and some news.

kkantor

Great to have CSP back on line!

Bret has, through no small effort, managed to get me a bunch of vintage 12" AR woofers, including various "re-foamed" units. Add to that the 303a woofers I have. I am in the process of doing detailed measurements on these, and will post results and commentary shortly.

The bad news is that this process has been delayed as I set up a new, better loudspeaker lab. The good news is the new, better loudspeaker lab. I now have the ability to do complete, laser-based driver testing... motor and suspension linearity, etc. I'm hoping to get a fact-based handle on the evolution of this woofer, the efficacy of restoring it, etc, soon.

Now that this forum is back to share the data, I am putting this on the front burner.

-k

>I now have the ability to do complete, laser-based driver testing... motor and suspension linearity, etc. I'm hoping to get a fact-based handle on the evolution of this woofer, the efficacy of restoring it, etc, soon.;) or is the rumor of their delinquency only the stuff of urban legend?

Of all the things I have learned on this forum, I think this will be the most useful thing I've learned in terms of whether these old classics have a life-span beyond my own.

Thank you for doing this. I'm sure the time and effort (therefore cost) is considerable. Reminds me of a TV commercial:

"Tonegen replacement driver - $125

Resurround original driver - $45

Rebuild motor leaving cone - $65

Rebuild driver completely - $99

Having a friend who will tell you which is worthwhile?

Priceless."

BTW - was there a note/invoice with the drivers saying precisely what had been done to each of them?

Bret

Archived