AL 115 with blown tweeters

cdavis

I have a pair of AL 115s with blown tweeters. I have not been able to find original tweeters. They have been sitting in a closet for almost 8 years and my wife keeps saying to do something with them. Do these have any value or should I just dispose of them, which I hate to do? Does anyone know a tweeter that would fit? Other than that they are in perfect shape. I actually bought them used from Roy Allison when he was running RDL in Bellingham, MA so I know they are good speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of AL 115s with blown tweeters. I have not been able to find original tweeters. They have been sitting in a closet for almost 8 years and my wife keeps saying to do something with them. Do these have any value or should I just dispose of them, which I hate to do? Does anyone know a tweeter that would fit? Other than that they are in perfect shape. I actually bought them used from Roy Allison when he was running RDL in Bellingham, MA so I know they are good speakers.

Hi there You can usually find used OEM tweeters on ebuy and other Allison parts.

If these have metal screens over them, they probably aren't blown, but just have corrosion of the tinsel lead where it passes under the screen. Common problem caused by an acidic glue used to attach the screen. This is repairable. Just pull off the screen, dig out the potting compound, and solder a wire to the remaining tinsel lead.

Archived