Ar 2a and 2aX crossovers

Guest abbedd

Guest abbedd

What are the crossovers for the 2a and 2ax

I am under the impression that it is

2a

2ax

I love the 2as and just won a crossover on ebat to put in my 2axs. I hope I am correct and the crossovers are different and not just the midrange design

Abbedd

I better be fast with this answer, as I can hear Mr. Evans' footsteps rapidly approaching from behind.

The AR-2a crossovers were, as you correctly state, 2000 and 7500Hz.

There were 2 versions of the AR-2ax, different enough from each other to have merited two different model numbers.

The "old" 2ax used essentially the same woofer as the 2a, a 3 1/2" midrange, and the 1 3/8" "fried egg" dome tweeter, the same tweeter as in the 2a. Crossover frequencies were 2000Hz and 7500Hz.

In 1970, a new version of the 2ax was introduced. It used a brand-new 10" woofer with foam surround (the same as used in the AR-5), the same 3 1/2" midrange as the old 2ax, and the new 3/4" dome tweeter (also the same as in the AR-5). The crossovers were 1400Hz and 5000Hz.

There were also significant cosmetic changes to the new 2ax as well, to the grille cloth and logo.

In my opinion, the new 2ax was an almost perfect balance of close-to-top-of-the-line performance, clean, classic AR looks, and extraordinary value. At $128 ea. in walnut, it was only HALF the price of the 3a (250.00 ea.), but delivered amazing sound.

Steve F.

Guest abbedd

Steve F

Thanks for the info. I will have to pull the grills on my 2axs to see what tweeter they have and therefore the crossover. I can tell by the way they sound that they crossover lower than 2000

Abbedd

>I will have to pull the grills on my 2axs

>to see what tweeter they have and therefore the crossover.

>

>Abbedd

You won't have to pull the grilles off. The logos will tell you which version they are.

The old 2ax had the square "AR Inc." logo in one corner and a brass "a" in the other corner.

The new 2ax had a single rectangular brass logo with red "AR-2ax" lettering.

And as Brad said, look at the serial numbers.

Steve F.

Guest abbedd

So the answer I was looking for is this

The 2as and original 2axs had the same exact crossover. So the difference in sound must be the change in midrange. I think the 2as are flatter.

Did I understand correctly?

Thanks to those who helped out

Abbedd

Archived