***AR 4X $25.00 ***

barefoot1

THE SPEAKER WAS PARTED OUT AND THE SPEAKERS ARE SOLD.

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 7 posts

• Interests:Music, electronics, stereo systems, kite flying, going to the beach and Geocaching.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

AR4x003.jpgAR4x004.jpgAR4x005.jpgAR4x006.jpgAR4x007.jpg ****A DEAL****

I DON'T WANT TO SCAP IT AND I WANT IT OUT OF MY WAY $25.00 TO A GOOD HOME.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WOUILD COST TO SHIP, BUT I WOULD LIKE IT TO GO TO A GOOD HOME!

**** THE FAMOUS AR GIANT KILLER THE MODEL 4x. A CLASSIC AR4x SINGLE SPEAKER FROM 1969 ****

IF YOU OWN ONE BAD 4x, WANT A THIRD CHANNEL CENTER SPEAKER OR SIMPLY WANT TO HAVE A SPARE, THIS IS FOR YOU.

VINTAGE AR 4 SPEAKER FROM THE 60's.

THE CABINET ON THE AR4 IS IN GOOD CONDITION.

I HAVE HOOKED THE SPEAKER UP TO MY ONKYO 8555 RECEIVER/AMP 100 WATTS PER CHANNEL AND IT WORKS FINE, ALBEIT THE TRIMMER IS A BIT SCRATCHY.

THE WOOFER SURROUND IS FLEXIBLE AND IS NOT CRACKED, THIS SPEAKER HAS IT'S ORIGINAL DRIVERS.

THIS SPEAKER IS FROM ONE OWNER AND A SMOKE FREE HOUSE.

LOCAL PICK UP OR POSSIBLE SHIPPING IF THE BUYER AGREES DEPENDING ON THE COST.

25.00 OR BEST OFFER

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in buying this AR 4x, I just bought a pair of 4xs this week, and one needs a new tweeter/L-pad, etc, so having a full extra speaker would be perfect. Additionally, I'm really liking the pair I got and could see restoring more of these in the future. I'll pay shipping, please let me know.

Hello philcryer,

I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will be gone for 8 days. I will contact you once I return and we can work out the details.

I really have no idea what shipping would be with packing materials, but UPS might be the best bet.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the interest I will be in touch.

Barefoot1

Thanks Barefoot1, I am located in St. Louis Missouri, and really appreciate this - I'm loving the AR 4xs I have, but already see issues with how the woofers were (not) resealed properly, so I'd like to have a 'reference' speaker to work from ;) Let me know how much you'll need to ship, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phil,

I'm back from vacation. I will see where and if I can get the proper size box's both inner and outer for the AR4x.

I know how it should be packed with full length corner protectors and top and bottom cushioning within the inner box. Then I would want to place the inner box in an outer box just for added protection. Albeit maybe just one heavy wall box with corner protectors would be enough.

I will check with the UPS store maybe they have this type of box and maybe they will do the shipping if it isn't real expensive. I would send it ground it should be reasonable :rolleyes: I hope.

If you only wanted the speakers, crossover, trimmer, terminals and AR logo plate I would part it out and ship the speakers well packaged U.S.P.S. Priority mail :huh: . You can let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Phil,

I will do some checking with the UPS store and see if they can supply the box's and corner protectors. I will also get prices for materials and the shipping.

It may take me a few days, but I will find out.

Best,

Jeff

Hey Phil, I will do some checking with the UPS store and see if they can supply the box's and corner protectors. I will also get prices for materials and the shipping. It may take me a few days, but I will find out. Best, Jeff

Hi Phill,

Well I got some prices from UPS & USPS and it's not cheap.

I would have to use a box that would accommodate bubble wrap to wrap around the speaker. Then I would use peanut packing around all sides and top and bottom at a 2" thickness. I would purchase the heavy wall box from UPS, but I would do the packing I have all the needed materials.

UPS quoted me for ground service to St. Louis including the price of the box at $59.30 and this did not include insurance.

U.S.P.S. Would be $66.00 for parcel post and that did not include insurance.

Needles to say the prices are expensive :rolleyes: and maybe prohibitive, but this is your call.

Maybe selling speakers is not so good unless they can be picked up locally.

So this is all the news I have so let me know what you think. Albeit I won't be upset if you don't want to proceed, getting $25.00 for the speaker isn't an issue so no worries :) .

Best,

Jeff

Jeff - Yikes, so is that just for the box and packing, and then 25$ on top of that? Even without, I only paid 50$ for the pair of AR-4x I have here - but yes, I did pick them up in person. I'm sorry you had to run around to get all that info, tell you what, how about if you could just break out the woofer, tweeter and the electronics back panel and ship just those like you offered before? I hate to break things up, but in reality that what I would have done with the speaker once I got it, this way I can get a vintage tweeter and have a woofer and backpanel for reference against my pair. If you dont' want to do this I completely understand, but if you could just ship those for the same amount plus shipping (hopefully not more than 20$?) I'd still like that. Thanks again for your efforts, I've been holding off buying other new parts until we can see if I can use these, so I do appreciate it.

Phil,

Yes that is the price I received from UPS and then I checked on USPS for box size and weight for USPS Parcel Post shipping.

I didn't inflate the shipping prices and yes my $25.00 would be on top of the shipping price.

I'm sorry for the expense, but if you know of a cheaper way let me know.

If I part out the speakers, crossover and ship them in a large priority box it would be approximately $15-16 without insurance.

Unfortunately it appears that I can't safely put everything in one box without damaging something.

I'm sorry, but I think this has turned into vapor :blink: and not worth the effort so I must decline the sale.

I hope you understand and thanks for the interest.

Best,

Jeff

I understand Jeff, thanks again for your efforts, and if you do get rid of it drop it off at a Goodwill store or something - that way someone will get some use out of it.

Phil,

No worries the speaker won't get scrapped. Maybe someone locally will want it, I have it on Craig's list.

Thanks for understanding :) .

Best,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Phil,

I still have the 4x.

I will pull the woofer and see if it's the same configuration of the magnet as in the picture on flicker.

I will let you know possibly later today if I get the time to pull the woofer.

Thanks, I have just ordered the other parts I need for the refurb last night, and am just trying to figure out the last piece. Just so you know, the one above with the 'square' magnet is the one I'm taking out, the proper AR magnet is rounded on two sides, like this one https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fak3r/7918691280/in/set-72157631130021902/ https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fak3r/7918689514/in/set-72157631130021902/ < that is the one I'm looking to match.

Hi Phil,

I just pulled the speaker and it is the woofer with the square magnet. This is the proper woofer for the 4x since this speaker is original and was never modded albeit maybe there were two styles of woofer used in the 4x which I have no knowledge of.

By the way your flicker page is secure and would not grant me access.

Let me know how to proceed if you want the speaker. I think I can put the tweeter in the same box if you want it and I will try to fit it in.

Best,

Jeff

Ok, you are correct - it seems that I have two different years/designs of AR-4x, so having the matching speakers would be really cool. If you can put the woofer and tweeter in the same box that'd be great, this way I would have matching components on my pair. Don't over engineer the box, I'd think some cardboard wrapped around the speakers, then some newspaper to keep them in place would be enough padding. Let me know what you think and what I'd owe you, thanks!

Phil,

I will stand by my $25.00 price for the speakers plus 14.65 for U.S.P.S. Priority Mail, but this is not insured if you want insurance it would be $1.85 additional if you want it.

So $39.65 will do it.

I need your mailing address, but lets do an email for the rest of the deal!

My address is: barefoot1@zoominternet.net

Thanks,

Jeff

Archived