AR-4x woofer

ninohernes

The 4x woofer looks strange, it has screen on the sides of the magnet and the dust cap is vented. When you press the cone, it bounces freely, like it was not even in the cabinent. Its realy not acoustic suspension. Can I seal the dust cap to get rid of this mass air leakage or will this cause the unit to overheat?

I found an answer! I called Bill Miller. He said the venting is to cool the voice coil and keep driver compression to a minimum. He also said that AR took this into thier calculations, so it dosent affect the acoustic suspension. Having a vented dustcap actualy improves prefromance and keeps distortion to a minimum and impedence consistant. So the vented dustcap on the AR-3a and the AR-4x is a good thing, dont cover it, or your drivers may overheat and the impedence will drop.

I have the same style of 4x woofer as yours. It is the ribbed cone, 4 bolt version right ? Interesting that you should point out the screen on the "open" sides of the "pot/slug" magnet. The AR-4x is the only one that I have seen with this screen. All the other ALNICO slug magnets I have seen have been covered with masking tape. I think the 4x may have been the first AR to use the slug magnet. Is there a date on your woofers or tweeters ? Mine are dated Feb 1969. Serial FX 229903, FX 229916.

Yes, 4 bolts and a ribbed cone. Mine dont have a date, but the serial numbers are FX224965 and FX228953. I have coated the cone and the surrounds with that stuff from Layne Audio. It helps alot! Just dont cover the dust cap. It needs to be vented so that the voice coil can cool itself.

Archived