AR-90 spearkers

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group here but have been hangin' around for awhile just reading posts. This is a very interesting forum & I really enjoy the many topics discussed. I'm looking for a set of AR-90s & wonder what their value would be? From what I understand stand, they were made from '79- '82. So most would be needing new surrounds soon if not already replaced. I know alot of variables can go into determining worth, but some estimates for sets with new surrounds or not, etc. would be nice. Maybe what other vintage AR-90s have been seen going for or others paid (or would pay) would help. I thank all for any help they can offer. Again, great group here everyone! Bob

Hi Bob,

>I know alot of variables can go into determining worth, but some estimates for sets with new surrounds or not, etc. would be nice. Maybe what other vintage AR-90s have been seen going for or others paid (or would pay) would help<

I know a pair in unknown condition sold for $340 and another pair, pristine according to the seller, were bid-up to $400, but the seller's reserve was higher than that, so they didn't sell.

You said just about everything when you said, "I know alot of variables can go into determining worth."

If you are thinking about these for yourself, what sort of amplifier have to got to push them with. Bigger is definitely better.

Bret

Hi Bret, Thanks for reply about AR-90s. This gives me some idea's to go on. I'm looking for the AR-90s or some AR-9s for rear speakers. The rears would be driven by a Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver which has 130 watts per channel. I have AR-9s right now as my main speakers. I bypass the Yamaha for those & drive them with a Hafler DH-500. Very happy with the set up. Got the AR-9s new in 1982 & had to replace tweeters in 1991 after burning them out. The lower mid ranges (8"s) did need refoaming on surrounds. I had new AR original equip. 8" spaekers so I put them in instead of refoamed ones. 12" woofers are still fine but for how long I don't know. I will refoam those myself when needed. Regards, Bob

>

>You said just about everything when you said, "I know alot of

>variables can go into determining worth."

>

>If you are thinking about these for yourself, what sort of

>amplifier have to got to push them with. Bigger is definitely

>better.

>

>Bret

Archived