Need a small amount of Alumisol aluminum solder for AR3

Localfave

On my AR3's, one of the fine aluminum midrange wires has come loose from the tab connection. The wire is still long enough to reach so I'd like to just resolder it. I'm having trouble locating aluminum solder. I called Wolverine Joining Technologies (the only one I could find on the web who carries it) and was told they no longer have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've done a lot of research. This Forum is invaluable; thank you. I called my friend to ask him if he had any aluminum solder or could source it. He happened to be an an old hardware store at the time (timing is everything.) He found an old box of Kesters Aluminum Solder for $2.00. I bent the tab down a bit so the slightly shortened lead could reach it. I hooked it so there would be a decent mechanical joint. Next, I used solder debraiding to clean it up. Lightly sanded the leads with 600 sandpaper. The solder spat and didn't allow a good connection. I cleaned it up again. I remembered someone (thank you) on the forum said to heat the old solder and allow it to flow. It worked! I have a midrange. The speaker sounds great! I found an AR1 years ago and loved the sound so much I bought another one, but I've never given the AR3's a real listen before. I've had several pair and I didn't take time to deal with the pots, etc. Now on to the mate. Thanks again to the contributors on this forum!

Good to hear you got it fixed.There is very knowledgable people on this site.I'm fairly new here and I've spent alot of hours reading and learning to the point that I've been able to replace surrounds and recap speakers which I'd never done or knew about before.Soon I'll be trying my hand at reconing some 10" AR woofers.Not to long ago I would have thought the only option was to through them out.Now I've built up quite a collection of speakers,all needing some work and I have a sound system that most people would have to pay thousands of dollars for,in new equipment,to come close to the sound quality I have.Hope you enjoy listening to your AR-3's.

Archived