KLH model 17 repair

jgb333

Hello all,

Disclaimer warning: I am a vintage audio neophyte. I want to preemptively apologize for incorrect terminology or any other general misstatements.

I recently stumbled upon a pair of KLH 17's for next to nothing. Their beauty convinced me to immerse myself in your world. One woofer is totally blown and will most likely need to be replaced. The other woofer is injured. Here goes...It looks like the cone has cleanly separated from the "spider"...the woofer produces scratchy sounds as a result. Is this repairable? Is there some glue/adhesive/technique that will connect and seal the base of the cone back onto the spider over the voice coil?

Does anyone out there understand what i'm saying :)

thank you in advance

jgb333

I know nothing about repairing woofers, but KLH 17 woofers are often available on eBay for a reasonable price, maybe $30 for a pair plus shipping. When I get a blown woofer in 17s, I just replace it. More often I encounter a silent tweeter as a result of a bad capacitor. That's an easy fix as well: just score a pair of 8.2 mfd 5% Daytons caps from Parts Express for about $3.50 each and replace the old ones.

Archived