AR2ax grills

Recently acquired a pair of AR2ax's in very nice exterior shape. The grills are in great shape and I need some suggestions on how to remove them without damaging them. I've powered up with a Soundstream amp - 200w/ch, and got limited volume from one speaker and no sound from the second. I've been told to check the resistance levels across the speakers for fried coils.

Guest Brian_D

I'm not sure about the grilles... sorry

It is unlikely that you have fused coils, your amplifier surely would have gone into protection mode when powered on (a fused coil is basically a dead short) The speaker with limited volume may have a bad crossover component, and the speaker with no sound likely has a disconnected wire, (As evidenced by the lack of sound from the tweeter) or a separated voice coil lead. It may actually have a bad crossover component as well.

As far as "Fried" coils, I've never been too clear on what this means. Overheating will dammage the coils, but it almost always causes a dead short in the woofer. Separation of the voice coil from the cone will cause a dead short, unless it stays aligned then it will make a horrible buzzing sound as it taps against the cone.

When you do get the grilles off, I suspect you'll find disconnected wires and perhaps a dammaged capacitor (causing resistance in the crosover networks and thus decreasing volume)

I removed the AR2ax emblem by unscrewing it and screwed in a drywall screw in the same hole. I put a short board across the corner to use as a resting for a claw hammer to "gently" put up on the screw. It started to "pop" AS THE GLUE GAVE WAY and I then used two putty knives to move around the grill "gently" lifting and it came right off.

Archived