AR5 Tweeter

Guest dogmeninreno

I have a June 1972, December 1970 and one prior to these and in all cases the 12" AR speakers are 4 Ohms the rest are 8 Ohms.

1972 - AR-4x, AR-6, AR-2x, AR-2ax, AR-5 = 8 Ohms

1972 - AR-3, AR-3a = 4 Ohms

1970 - AR-4x, AR-6, AR-2x, AR-2ax, AR-5 = 8 Ohms

1970 - AR-3, AR-3a = 4 Ohms

196? - AR-4x, AR-2x, AR-2ax, AR-5 = 8 Ohms

196? - AR-1W, AR-1x, AR-3, AR-3a = 4 Ohms

Don't forget this is a nominal rating, most people measure DC resistance which can be misleading......

See attatched file for AR-5 information.

I also have a similar problem and posted my question a month ago. I have a pair of LSTII's which have two

of the three tweeters in each replaced with one KEF and one Yamaha tweeter each. Edward Arnold, a

member who posts on this site, was kind enough to provide me with some AR tweeters out of the larger LST.

I thought AR tweeters from the LSTII were 8 ohms (like the AR5) and the LST were 4 ohms, like the AR3a.

Your posting indicates that this may not be true.

I do not have an accurate enough ohmmeter to read that low a resistance to compare tweeters. They all read

zero ohms DC resistance.

Does anyone who posts here know the story on AR tweeters and mids and what ohm rating they had? Any

information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Richard Boneske

Guest dogmeninreno

>I also have a similar problem and posted my question a month

>ago. I have a pair of LSTII's which have two

>of the three tweeters in each replaced with one KEF and one

>Yamaha tweeter each. Edward Arnold, a

>member who posts on this site, was kind enough to provide me

>with some AR tweeters out of the larger LST.

>I thought AR tweeters from the LSTII were 8 ohms (like the

>AR5) and the LST were 4 ohms, like the AR3a.

>Your posting indicates that this may not be true.

>

>I do not have an accurate enough ohmmeter to read that low a

>resistance to compare tweeters. They all read

>zero ohms DC resistance.

>

>Does anyone who posts here know the story on AR tweeters and

>mids and what ohm rating they had? Any

>information would be appreciated.

>

>

>Hello, Here is some info I received from someone who found a 8 ohm tweeter in the AR-LST

>

"AR-3a and AR-LST use 4 ohm drivers while AR-5 and AR-LST2 use 8 ohm drivers. Physically they look identical but the 4 ohms drivers have -1 ending part numbers and 8 ohms have -2 ending. Also 8 ohms drivers sound brighter and 4 ohms sound recess. By just measuring the tweeter itself sometime your get 4 ohms DC resistence. As the drivers age the resistence will decrease less and less and evantually wide open and gone. That is why on the AR-3a tweeter you will read 2.5 ohms, 2 ohms sometimes."

>I still need to know if the mids are interchangable from the AR3a to the AR5's? Dale

I measured the voice coil resistance with a fairly high quality Simpson VOM. The reading is nearly

the same as shorted meter leads. I still do not know how to distinguish a 4 ohm unit from

an 8 ohm unit. The tweeters have no numbers other than dates on them. Does anyone have

other suggestions? Are you sure there were both 4 and 8 ohm tweeters manufactured by AR? It

seems they would identify them more clearly than by marking a black "a" on the 4 ohm units.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard Boneske

Archived