AR Spirit 162

deepwater330

I have a pair of AR Spirit 162 speakers which I have owned from new. They have been in use pretty much continuously and have been completely trouble free, the only maintenance required being refoaming. I understand that they do not have the best of reviews for AR products, although I have to say I think they are brilliant (but what do I know, beyond enjoying good sound?!!)

Information on this model is very sparse. Is there anybody out there who can help me with spec sheets, brochures, review information etc? I've lived around the world in several places over the years and, in my travels, have mislaid the original documentation I had. I'm grateful in advance for any info.

I have a pair of AR Spirit 162 speakers which I have owned from new. They have been in use pretty much continuously and have been completely trouble free, the only maintenance required being refoaming. I understand that they do not have the best of reviews for AR products, although I have to say I think they are brilliant (but what do I know, beyond enjoying good sound?!!)

Information on this model is very sparse. Is there anybody out there who can help me with spec sheets, brochures, review information etc? I've lived around the world in several places over the years and, in my travels, have mislaid the original documentation I had. I'm grateful in advance for any info.

Hi there

I would not worry about negative reviews, if you enjoy them, that is what really counts.

We all hear and appreciate differently.

From a post of mine in 2003:

Posted 08 March 2003 - 10:36 PM

"The Spirit Series also dated from 1990, but I never actually saw it in any store here in the Boston area. They came and went very fast.

There were 6 models. The 142 was one down from the top of the line 162. It was interesting to read Julian Hirsch's review of the 162 in Stereo Review. He was such an AR fan, he loved the classic ARs, and correctly felt the AR-1 was the turning point for modern speaker design. I almost felt bad for him as he struggled vainly to find something good to say about the 162. This was the absolute end of the AR we all knew from years past. Forgettable boxes stuffed with OEM drivers. Very sad.

The 142 was a small floorstanding speaker, with an 8" woofer, a 6 1/2" woofer/midrange, and a 1" (not 1 1/4") dome tweeter. It was a "2 1/2" -way configuration. LF response was rated to -3dB @ 52Hz. Dimensions were 25 5/8 x 9 1/8 x 11" HWD.

There was also a full line of Spirit electronic components--integrated amps, a receiver, tuner, tape deck, and CD player."

I will look for the Stereo Review test report of the 162 and see if I can find it. Unfortunately, it does not rank high on the list of great AR speakers.

Steve F.

Archived