Refinishing Dynaco A-25XLs

Horswispr

Does anyone know how the back edges of Dynaco A-25XLs were originally finished? I know regular A-25s had wood veneer back there, but this is the first pair of XLs I've ever refinished. These were stained in a really dark color (totally obscures the grain--I'm sanding them all the way down), and I can't tell if the back edges were originally wood with oil, as on the original A-25s, or if they were painted black. Gracias!

Does anyone know how the back edges of Dynaco A-25XLs were originally finished? I know regular A-25s had wood veneer back there, but this is the first pair of XLs I've ever refinished. These were stained in a really dark color (totally obscures the grain--I'm sanding them all the way down), and I can't tell if the back edges were originally wood with oil, as on the original A-25s, or if they were painted black. Gracias!

Hi there

Do not sand through to the veneer.

Use a paint and varnish remover to remove the stain/paint.

Please post a photo of, "the back edges", I'm not familiar with that term.

I can look at mine when I can see what you are questioning about.

• 7 months later...

I recently refinished a pair of XLs, as well as a pair of "American" Dynacos with Danish-like cabs. If I recall correctly, both did NOT have veneer on those back edges, as most of the Danish Dynacos did. I would just gently sand it smooth, and Minwax red mahogany (seems to match walnut veneer best) stain whatever is back there.

Archived