AR Turntable tone arm

Hi,

The wiring in my AR-XA tone arm has gone bad. The left ground wire is open. I took the bottom off the turntable, and I found the left ground wire between the shell and solder post is definitely open.

What are my options for fixing wiring or fixing the tone arm?

thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi,

The wiring in my AR-XA tone arm has gone bad. The left ground wire is open. I took the bottom off the turntable, and I found the left ground wire between the shell and solder post is definitely open.

thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi there

The original AR-XA tonearms complete wiring harness is 135 pf capacitance, from the cartridge holder to the phono connectors.

This information will be useful in future advice and surgery, if necessary.

This 135 pf plus whatever capacitance, in parallel, the cartridge manufacturer suggests for optimim load.

This can be duplicated with a sliver mica capacitor in parallel with the existing cap to add up to the proper capacitance.

Or by removing the existing cap and soldering the recommended size cap in it's place.

Great isolation from shock and feedback, low flutter, simple operation, and superb speed accuracy, even with a Dust Bug

record cleaner on the record, these are just a few of it's attributes.

Many model AR-XA's were sold over it's production life cycle.

I believe that Roy Allison asked an AR staff person, "how are the turntable sales"?

I believe the answer was something like, "50,000 a year".

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

A replacement belt can usually be obtained, if needed that is, wherever they sell cassette or tape deck belts, about $5.00 each.

Usually a little talcum powder sprinkled on the belt will allow it to slip.

Use alcohol to clean the platter of rubber remains.

The only slightly negative issue about this turntable was, at that time, the startup time to full speed.

It was slightly slower than the finest turntables but nevertheless very good and a non-issue for most every normal person.

It was not disc jockey material and that is ok.

There will be more advice on the cleaning and oiling of the bearings and other comments later.

If you have already removed the tonearm from it's well, be careful that the small ball bearing under the stem does not fall off and get lost.

It is extremely important that this ball bearing be kept and re-used later.

There will be other advice forthcoming, please wait before doing any surgery to your turntable.

Hi,

thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi again

Here is a site that has a lot of AR-XA Turntable information.

This particular link is for the repair of the wiring in a AR-XA Turnable arm.

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_rewire.shtml

You will see all the finely detailed work required for a complete repair.

There is also a number of reasons there as to why not buy and ship an AR type turntable over the internet.

ps I just went there and this link takes you to their main sales screen.

Do a site search there and you will find a lot of helpful information with photos as well.

Also this links address is altered by this sites software for some reason.

I entered as above but we only see an altered version here.

What I typed is the same up to nirvana.com/ar_rewire.shtml

Archived