bose 901 mark 6

bri

I was wondering if anyone tried to hook up the Bose 901 amp to a dennon audio video surround reciever. I just purchased a Denon AVR-588 audio video surround reciever and i cant get the bose amp to work. The speakers have sound but hardley no bass, they sound tinny and the bass nor trebblie adjustments dont work on the amp (no sound change). I do not have any tape in out jacks nor a tape button nor do i have any amp left right jacks. There is one tape in and out plug, but only one cable for in and one out (no left or right). When the Denon is switched to tape it is looking for a tape player itself. These speakers rocked on my Technics reciever (with the tape function) but i cannot hook them up correctly to have the Bose quailty sound on my Denon. Am i overlooking something? Thank You for any input that i recieve.

You have a problem. The Bose 901 system requires that the equalizer be installed in the signal path at the preamplifier level, that is after a phono preamplifier stage if there is one and before the power amplifier input stage. Normally this is accomplished by installing it in the tape monitor path or the external signal processor loop or between the preamplifier output and power amplifier input. Many if not most HT receivers have no provisions for any of those. (If you are too young to know, the tape monitor loop was used to check the quality of a tape recording on a three head tape deck as the tape is being made. The tape output is fed to the tape deck recording amplifier inupts which feeds the recording head and the tape deck preamp outputs feed the tape monitor input from the playback head a split second after the tape has been recorded. By switching back and forth you can compare the source signal with the tape recording. This was perfect for the Bose Equalizer which provides a redundant loop to replace the one it uses. Few people use this kind of tape recorder anymore so they don't include this feature in contemporary amplifiers and receivers.)

You have a couple of choices but none of them are good. You can connect the Bose equalizer between a DVD or CD player and the receiver inputs. This will work but the center and rear channels will also be equalized for speakers that shouldn't have the signal processed by it. If the receiver has a direct input, you can connect the bose output to the front left and front right inputs only and connect your DVD player to the equalizer. This will equalize only the Bose 901 speaker signals, the center and rear channels will be unaffected but it will only work when the receiver is in the direct input mode, not the other functions which use the receiver's built in processors. In either case, the receiver's tuner and other inputs will not be properly equalized by the receiver for Bose 901. You can multiply the number of inputs to the Bose equalizer with an outboard multi input selector switch. Parts Express probably has at least one. You can also multiply the number of inputs to the equalizer by using an outboard preamp or disco mixer.

The receiver's bass and treble controls on many HT receivers often only work in some modes. The instruction manuals in many of them such as a Pioneer I have are so poorly written, they don't tell you which ones. You just have to try them all out to see. In any event, the bass and treble controls are not an adequate replacement for the bose equalizer.

Thank you for you reply. I do have major issues. below is what i got from bose.....

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Dear Mr. Wilson,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The AVR-558 is not compatible with the 901 equalizer.

With a stereo receiver, the equalizer for the Bose® 901® Direct/Reflecting® speakers is connected to the tape monitor section of the receiver as follows:

1. Connect the left and right tape monitor outputs of the receiver to the left and right amplifier inputs of the equalizer

2. Connect the left and right amplifier outputs of the equalizer to the left and right tape monitor inputs of the receiver

With surround-sound or home-theater receivers, follow these steps:

1. Connect the left and right preamplifier outputs of the receiver to the left and right amplifier inputs of the equalizer

2. Connect the left and right amplifier outputs of the equalizer to the left and right main amplifier inputs of the receiver

These connections apply to a limited number of currently available receivers. If your receiver has two U-shaped clips connecting the tape monitor or preamp OUT/IN jacks, remove the clips to make the connections.

Proper connections will isolate the equalizer so it won't affect other speakers in the system, or impact the receiver's surround-sound processing circuit.

Note: You may connect the equalizer for 901 speakers between a separate preamp/processor and power amplifier. Or, if your receiver has a preamp output but no main amp input, purchase a separate power amplifier with those jacks and connect the equalizer between the two units.

I have attached current lists of stereo and home-theater receivers compatible with 901 speakers in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader from Adobe to view the files. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded at www.adobe.com.

Note: Receiver specifications are subject to change without notice. Bose Corporation is not responsible for any inaccuracies due to manufacturer changes. Inclusion in this list does not indicate an endorsement by Bose Corporation. Contact the receiver manufacturer for more information.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.

Barry

Product and Technical Support Team

-------------------------------------------------

Bose Corporation

US Telephone: (800)367-4008

International Tel: (508)766-1900

Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUs'>http://www.bose.com/ContactUs

Fax: (800)278-7970

Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)

Music has the power to move you -and Bose has an iPod speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable digital music system reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity. And it's so compact, you can take it just about anywhere, even outdoors. Ask about our special package prices. Call 800-767-4131 to learn more about our exciting options or visit http://www.bose.com

------------------------------

Technical Support Information:

[Email Id:1-8OP17M]

[Email Agent Id:1-I2RA]

[Queue Id:1-HMFN]

-----Original Message-----

Hi i bought a denon avr-558 audio video surround reviever and i cant get my Bose 901 mark 6 amp to work. I have no tape in and out and no pre amp in and out. My speakers sound tinny (no bass). Will these speakers work on The Denon AVR-588? its a low line Denon, The better ones have the tape function. Thanks for any help.

[Customer Serial Number: 193967]

---------------------------------------------

Additional Information for Technical Support:

[Customer FirstName: brian]

[Customer LastName: wilson]

[Customer Email: popnjohnny@comcast.net]

[Customer StreetAddress1: ]

[Customer StreetAddress2: ]

[Customer State: ]

[Customer City: ]

[Customer Country Name: United States of America]

[Customer Postal Code: 48093]

[Customer Phone: ]

[Customer Work Phone: ]

[Customer Country: US]

HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SearchToolbar 1.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

HTTP_REMOTE_ADDR: 24.11.12.64

HTTP_REFERRER: https://www.bose.com/controller?event=CONTACT_US_EVENT&url=HED

[Routing Text: WWW_PRODUCT_SUPPORT_US]

Thank you for you reply. I do have major issues. below is what i got from bose.....

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Dear Mr. Wilson,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The AVR-558 is not compatible with the 901 equalizer.

With a stereo receiver, the equalizer for the Bose® 901® Direct/Reflecting® speakers is connected to the tape monitor section of the receiver as follows:

1. Connect the left and right tape monitor outputs of the receiver to the left and right amplifier inputs of the equalizer

2. Connect the left and right amplifier outputs of the equalizer to the left and right tape monitor inputs of the receiver

With surround-sound or home-theater receivers, follow these steps:

1. Connect the left and right preamplifier outputs of the receiver to the left and right amplifier inputs of the equalizer

2. Connect the left and right amplifier outputs of the equalizer to the left and right main amplifier inputs of the receiver

These connections apply to a limited number of currently available receivers. If your receiver has two U-shaped clips connecting the tape monitor or preamp OUT/IN jacks, remove the clips to make the connections.

Proper connections will isolate the equalizer so it won't affect other speakers in the system, or impact the receiver's surround-sound processing circuit.

Note: You may connect the equalizer for 901 speakers between a separate preamp/processor and power amplifier. Or, if your receiver has a preamp output but no main amp input, purchase a separate power amplifier with those jacks and connect the equalizer between the two units.

I have attached current lists of stereo and home-theater receivers compatible with 901 speakers in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader from Adobe to view the files. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded at www.adobe.com.

Note: Receiver specifications are subject to change without notice. Bose Corporation is not responsible for any inaccuracies due to manufacturer changes. Inclusion in this list does not indicate an endorsement by Bose Corporation. Contact the receiver manufacturer for more information.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.

Barry

Product and Technical Support Team

Bose Corporation

US Telephone: (800)367-4008

International Tel: (508)766-1900

Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUs'>http://www.bose.com/ContactUs

Fax: (800)278-7970

Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)

Music has the power to move you -and Bose has an iPod speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable digital music system reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity. And it's so compact, you can take it just about anywhere, even outdoors. Ask about our special package prices. Call 800-767-4131 to learn more about our exciting options or visit http://www.bose.com

------------------------------

Technical Support Information:

[Email Id:1-8OP17M]

[Email Agent Id:1-I2RA]

[Queue Id:1-HMFN]

-----Original Message-----

Hi i bought a denon avr-558 audio video surround reviever and i cant get my Bose 901 mark 6 amp to work. I have no tape in and out and no pre amp in and out. My speakers sound tinny (no bass). Will these speakers work on The Denon AVR-588? its a low line Denon, The better ones have the tape function. Thanks for any help.

[Customer Serial Number: 193967]

Additional Information for Technical Support:

[Customer FirstName: brian]

[Customer LastName: wilson]

[Customer Email: popnjohnny@comcast.net]

[Customer StreetAddress1: ]

[Customer StreetAddress2: ]

[Customer State: ]

[Customer City: ]

[Customer Country Name: United States of America]

[Customer Postal Code: 48093]

[Customer Phone: ]

[Customer Work Phone: ]

[Customer Country: US]

HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SearchToolbar 1.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

HTTP_REMOTE_ADDR: 24.11.12.64

HTTP_REFERRER: https://www.bose.com/controller?event=CONTACT_US_EVENT&url=HED

[Routing Text: WWW_PRODUCT_SUPPORT_US]

Just as bad or even worse from many people's perspective who post or visit here, you cannot connect the receiver to a 4 ohm AR speaker system such as AR3, 3a, or 9 either, not without installing a high wattage power wasting 2 or 4 ohm resister in series with it. If you try the receiver will either shut down to protect itself or it may be severely damaged. The low impedence load of these speakers could cause output stage failure. I tried a 100 wpc Sherwood on my AR9s when I rebuilt them in the fall of 2009 without the woofers (I wanted to compare them to AR2ax and the Sherwood has switching for two sets of speakers.) Even at modest levels without the woofers installed the receiver shut down to protect itself after a few moments every time. Fortunately it was not damaged.

Low budget equipment is designed to meet only the requirements of other equipment it is likely to be used with. The number of people who will want to connect a budget HT receiver to a Bose 901 or AR 4 ohm classic speaker is a tiny fraction of one percent. For them, they will have to find other ways to fully enjoy their speakers and other speakers to use with their HT receivers.

I do have one more alternate suggestion for you however which should work. You can connect the front L and R speaker outputs of your new HT receiver to a device that will drop the signal level to line level, connect the output of that device to the Bose equalizer input. Connect the equalizer output to a suitable stereo amplifier to drive the Bose speakers. I'm sure there are many such devices. Most may be simple resistor dividing networks.

If you try it, let us know how it works. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I bought Bose 901 VI last month, and just got my Marantz SR4023 yesterday. It works perfectly, and the sound fantastic. The only way to make your bose 901 equalizer work that you need to get a receiver have Main In/Pre Out. I tested with Tape Monitor In/Out jacks, I did not like it.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR4023

If you want to add more power amp to it, you should get NAD C275BEE that I plan to get next year. Online price $1200, but my local dealer only $900.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-275BEE-Stereo-Power-Amplifier

Vinh

Archived