What's the minimum power for KLH 17's?

pasha1

Hi everyone:

Just finished restoring a set of KLH 17's i picked up at a VV for $20.00. I have a assortment of low wattage receivers and am currently running a Realistic STA-16 Receiver (3.5 watts pc). Does anyone know if this will hurt the speakers, if i remember correctly the use 10 watts minimum. They sound awesome but very rarely the drivers will clip. Any help would be greatly welcome.

Hi everyone:

Just finished restoring a set of KLH 17's i picked up at a VV for $20.00. I have a assortment of low wattage receivers and am currently running a Realistic STA-16 Receiver (3.5 watts pc). Does anyone know if this will hurt the speakers, if i remember correctly the use 10 watts minimum. They sound awesome but very rarely the drivers will clip. Any help would be greatly welcome.

From memory about 15 watts RMS per channel is recommended. This should extend into the bass meaning the -3 db point should be below 50 hz. The speaker is 8 ohms and is relatively easy to drive compared to some other acoustic suspension speakers. 3.5 watts is too low. The amplifier will clip but I don't think at that power level it will hurt the speakers.

• 1 month later...

Archived