recap A/iii ???

Michael F

I can't leave well enough alone. I'm considering recapping. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe all the mumbo-jumbo about how the crossovers are magical because Mr. Snell touched them. He certainly did build some wonderful speakers but the crossovers just looks like piles of caps put together to get the values he wanted. If I measure the values of the bundles of electrolytics and replace them with the same values in higher quality caps can I really go that wrong. Has anyone actually tried this and been unhappy with the results?? FWIW, I'm looking to bring out a little more midrange (or a sweet, bloomy variety) and to tame the bit of sibilance that exists now. I've recapped some other speakers and gotten pretty much that very result so I'm hoping my hopes are reasonable.

As for the variable resistors. There are three in there. One of them is only hooked up on one side as far as I can tell. Why?

I will keep all of the existing components just in case...

FYI (in case you wanted to know), the wire in there is Monster brand.

I'll also mention that my tweeters are the vifa d26tg-05, not the audax mentioned somewhere on another forum.

Thanks,

Michael

I can't leave well enough alone. I'm considering recapping. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe all the mumbo-jumbo about how the crossovers are magical because Mr. Snell touched them. He certainly did build some wonderful speakers but the crossovers just looks like piles of caps put together to get the values he wanted. If I measure the values of the bundles of electrolytics and replace them with the same values in higher quality caps can I really go that wrong. Has anyone actually tried this and been unhappy with the results?? FWIW, I'm looking to bring out a little more midrange (or a sweet, bloomy variety) and to tame the bit of sibilance that exists now. I've recapped some other speakers and gotten pretty much that very result so I'm hoping my hopes are reasonable.

As for the variable resistors. There are three in there. One of them is only hooked up on one side as far as I can tell. Why?

I will keep all of the existing components just in case...

FYI (in case you wanted to know), the wire in there is Monster brand.

I'll also mention that my tweeters are the vifa d26tg-05, not the audax mentioned somewhere on another forum.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael

You should really come to Snell.no to discuss this. This forum is rather dead.

See you there!

Claus

Archived