Obscure KLH Models, Model 4 Speaker & 400 series mini system

kenyonbm

I recently pick up what appears to be a later KLH mini system and cannot find anything about it or any of its components.

The speakers are small 2-ways with a 5" poly woofer and a soft dome tweeter and are marked KLH 4. (12"h x 8"w x 6"d0

The Tuner/preamp is marked PT-400 and connected to the power amp with a din connector, it is powered by the power amp and has no plug or power supply.

There is a connection for a KLH cassette deck , a CD-400. The preamp also has AUX and Phono inputs.

The power amp is marked A-400 and claims 30/30 watts at 8ohms. It has a green led power meter display.

The A-400 and PT-400 each measure 11.5"w x 2.5"h 8.5"d

The speakers are marked KLH Research and Development , Made in USA by KLH, 145 University Ave. Westwood MA

The amplifier and tuner/pre/control center are marked KLH Research and Development, Canoga Park CA

All appear to be in good working order.

Any information would be appreciated.

Ken

post-102100-1243633772.jpg

post-102100-1243633861.jpg

post-102100-1243633961.jpg

post-102100-1243634096.jpg

Those look to be from the era when KLH was falling apart - speakers made in Westwood, MA - amp labeled Canoga Park, CA (produced in Japan ?).

From what I remember KLH made a move to Westwood about 1977, then were sold off to an Asian firm about 1980, then they moved their headquarters to California. It's all a bit confusing....today the KLH label is on rather generic audio made over-seas.

Your system probably sounds fine and is a decent mini system, but it's the Cambridge, MA years when Henry Kloss ran KLH (1957-67) that most members of this forum have info about. Also, the products that ran up to about 1975 are of interest.

Thanks Andy for your response. I have since opened up the pre & amp to look for date stamps or other clues. I did find a Made In Japan mark but that is it.

I had hoped that some one here would know something about them, but they are an complete cipher.

There is absolutely nothing about them at eBay, Audiokarma, or just plain Google. This has never happened when I have tried to research any piece of Consumer Electronics.

Usually just the model # is enough to find discussion, reviews, owners manuals, schematics, complaints, something.

But with these pieces, absolutely nothing, even here. Go figure.

They work fine by the way and they will wind up in my wife's sewing room. She thinks they are cute.

If you want, I would be happy to take some pictures for the archives, just for the sake of completeness.

im not much for klh stuff after the early 70s.. however this set seems to be of decent build quality compared to a lot of their transitional stuff. i dont think its quite a classic however. how does it sound? its probably worth taking care of even if its not from the classic years, there was a few things made that were good. :D:D

the real good classic klh stuff is from about 1958-1975, this looks like the early 90s.

i dont know if any of this helps, check out the older stuff its pretty reasonably priced, and hold on to this set, it dont seem bad. =)

Archived