AR9 Acoustic Blanket?

Guest Barrydor

Guest Barrydor

The AR promotional literature for the 9 series showed two additional pieces of the AR9 acoustic blanket. One piece was donut shaped and covered the mounting flange of the tweeter. The other piece was square with a round hole which covered the upper midrange driver up to the aluminum horn.

Apparently, these filler pieces were not included with earlier versions of the AR9, including mine. I was wondering whether they were actually supplied with later AR9s and whether they might still be available somewhere.

Guest dogmeninreno

>Yes, good question, Barry. Does anyone know if this

>material is available anywhere? I am looking for this

>material too.

>

>Ed

So am I, Are they necessary? Dale in Reno.....

Guest Barrydor

As I mentioned earlier, my AR9s and several other pairs of AR9s I played with in the first couple of years after they came on the market did not have the filler pieces. I was unaware of their existance until I looked closely at the promotional literature several years later.

In the past year or so, I have seen several pairs of AR9s and AR90s on eBay. The filler pieces show up in several of the photos. In fact, recent photos of an AR90 that was sold clearly showed the filler piece on the upper midrange, but the tweeter piece was missing. The metal tweeter mounting plate had four round self-stick Velcro pieces which were apparently used to hold the filler piece in place.

In the case of my AR9s, I made my own fillers from thick, laminated felt. I believe the addition of these pieces improved imaging slightly.

Guest Barrydor

The attached photo of an AR 90 shows the acoustic blanket filler piece I described in my earlier post.

In the photo, the filler (which appears to be made of a foam material) is present on the upper midrange driver. The filler piece is missing on the tweeter, but there are round Velcro disks on the tweeter mounting plate. These were apparently used to hold the filler piece in place.

As I mentioned before, earlier AR9's were apparently shipped without the acoustic blanket filler pieces. Does anyone know when AR started to include them?

Barry

http://www.arsenal.net/AcousticBlanket.jpg

Barry,

I saw those pics on eBay auction too. It did look like Velcro pieces around the tweeter. But I can't quite place the blanket material. I always thought that material was along the lines of the material you find on humidifier media pads or the pre filters you find on hepa air filters. It has a course surface. But the pics seam to show a material that has a non course surface.

But looking at the pic, the material looks like a blanket I have seen that is used for air conditioning ducks. It has foam padding underneath and a flat wavy plastic surface on the top.

Barry,

That is a good close-up shot. The material around the mid looks like what I have said; humidifier media pad or HEPA pre filter material. And it is available. It has a course surface which would absorb sound waves. I suppose the same material is used around the tweeter which is massing from the pic. That is the reason for the Velcro pads.

I still can not place the outer material.

• 3 weeks later...

The main "blanket" is a dense, layered felt. The foam is an acoustically specified, open-cell polyurethane. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with acoustical foam. Typical foams are surprising reflective. If what you use does not actually come with an absorption chart, there is a 90% chance that it will reflect more sound than using nothing at all. Really.

-ken

Guest dogmeninreno

>The AR promotional literature for the 9 series showed two

>additional pieces of the AR9 acoustic blanket. One piece was

>donut shaped and covered the mounting flange of the tweeter.

>The other piece was square with a round hole which covered

>the upper midrange driver up to the aluminum horn.

>

>Apparently, these filler pieces were not included with

>earlier versions of the AR9, including mine. I was wondering

>whether they were actually supplied with later AR9s and

>whether they might still be available somewhere.

Hey Tom, Could you comment? Thanks because I am trying to restore a set of AR9's and I have never heard them before. Thanks, Dale in Reno, NV dald@sbcglobal.com

Guest Barrydor

The AR9 assembly drawing on this site shows the filler pieces installed along with the Velcro retainers on the upper midrange and tweeter that held them in place. All of the parts are on the bill of material.

AB Tech no longer has the parts.

Dale, do your AR9's have round Velcro pieces attached to the upper midrange and tweeter flanges?

Barry

Guest dogmeninreno

>The AR9 assembly drawing on this site shows the filler

>pieces installed along with the Velcro retainers on the

>upper midrange and tweeter that held them in place. All of

>the parts are on the bill of material.

>

>AB Tech no longer has the parts.

>

>Dale, do your AR9's have round Velcro pieces attached to the

>upper midrange and tweeter flanges?

>

> Barry

No, Mine do not have the pieces or the velcro on the tweeters. Dale In Reno.....

Guest dogmeninreno

>>The AR9 assembly drawing on this site shows the filler

>>pieces installed along with the Velcro retainers on the

>>upper midrange and tweeter that held them in place. All of

>>the parts are on the bill of material.

>>

>>AB Tech no longer has the parts.

>>

>>Dale, do your AR9's have round Velcro pieces attached to the

>>upper midrange and tweeter flanges?

>>

>> Barry

>No, Mine do not have the pieces or the velcro on the

>tweeters. Dale In Reno.....

Forgot to say on the upper mids either...

Archived