Little "rattle" in a woofer - LST

Mexicomike

I've got a similar problem with one of my woofers as well (it had been reconed at some point). It's only obvious when playing organ music, or heavy acoustic bass. I've spoken to Carl about it; he feels that it's fixable, but will require yet another reconing. I may leave well enough alone.

It was REALLY easy to fix and, if you are able to lift the outer edge of the surround without damage, reconing is not necessary, just "repositioning." It took me longer to read about it than it did to actually do it, other than the glue drying...

It was REALLY easy to fix and, if you are able to lift the outer edge of the surround without damage, reconing is not necessary, just "repositioning." It took me longer to read about it than it did to actually do it, other than the glue drying...

Maybe....

Maybe....

Carl, I'm surprised at your response - You were the one who gave me good advice re correcting the same issue and it worked great! :)

But I guess it could be something much more serious, like a torn spider... But either way, I'd pull it out and take a look. Can't hurt!

I only say that because on a few repair jobs I experienced that same rattle that wouldn't go away. It was finally found to be caused by the back edge of the voice coil former which had been deformed a bit from bumping against the back plate. The deformation made the ID of the former smaller with much more of a tendency to rub on the pole piece.

Hope yours doesn't have that malady.

Archived