AR58LS REFURB??

Guest senior coconut

Guest senior coconut

Hi

I've got a pair of AR58LS speakers that I bought new in 1984. They have been superb for years, and I've yet to hear anything that sounds better. I drive them with a Musical Fidelity A30 dual mono amp, which delivers 180 watts per channel into 4 ohms. It's a beautiful amp and sounds superb. Recently the bass has started farting quite badly. I listen to a lot of reggae! I fear the woofers may be dying. Anyone any experience of repairing / re-coning / re-foaming these? I know nothing about this and would really welcome any pointers / links. Is it possible to get replacement units anywhere?

Please help!

Guest Audiomark

I've got a pair of AR58LS speakers that I bought new in 1984. They have been superb for years, and I've yet to hear anything that sounds better. I drive them with a Musical Fidelity A30 dual mono amp, which delivers 180 watts per channel into 4 ohms. It's a beautiful amp and sounds superb. Recently the bass has started farting quite badly. I listen to a lot of reggae! I fear the woofers may be dying. Anyone any experience of repairing / re-coning / re-foaming these? I know nothing about this and would really welcome any pointers / links. Is it possible to get replacement units anywhere?

From your description it sounds like the foam surrounds have gone. Don't thrash the speakers in this condition. The correct replacment surrounds are readily available for this model.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of the 58LS too. Had them since new and love them to bits.

You can get surrounds for the woofers, they are usually listed as either AR 12" (or sometimes 11") surrounds. I did mine about 5 years ago and they sound superb. If you are fairly good at model making and repairing stuff you should be able to them yourself, although you can get them done professionally for a lot more money. There are plenty of folk on here who will be glad to offer advice and help.

My midrange sounds have just gone after 25 years from new, so I'll be looking for a source for those shortly. I've just moved house so I am otherwise occupied temporarily with the myriad of unforseen things that invariably crop up in that "perfect" house. :-)

I'll very shortly be on the lookout for them and when I find some that will do the job I'll let you know how it goes in case yours are tired too.

Archived