Which amplifier with a pair of A35 ?

Guest uncleoudo

Guest uncleoudo

Hi everybody,

I'm writting you from Toulouse (south of France).

As my amplifier stopped working few days ago (a Marantz PM30), I started to check what are those pair of old speakers I received from my dad...and it turns out to be a pair of A35 Dynaco !

I didn't know nothing about those still an hour ago ! And thanks to the net, I realize that it's quite a good pair of speakers I've here (I'd already noticed they sounded good though !!)

for the little story : my dad bought them as he was a pilot for the french army in Germany (Ramstein base) in the early 70's and I still have them now...part of my past, we've more or less the same age !!

I've 3 questions :

*What kind of amplifier would you advise me to get that would suit well with those old speakers ? I'm wondering wether the sound delivered by a new amp wouldn't be too "agressive" ? I wanted to buy a NAD C315BEE because not too expensive and have a good reputation...someone as a better idea ? I really like the look of old silver amp (Denon, Marantz...) but I don't have the knowledge to know what is worth to be bought.

*Even if they seems to be in good condition, is there things to do so that they keep on getting "old" well ?

*What is the 5 positions button behind for ?

Thank you in advance and...à bientôt !

Eudes.

• 2 months later...

Bon jour!

I've had several pairs of A-35s pass through here...they are nice speakers.

Which amplifier to use depends on how much you can spend, but I would opt for softer sounding vintage gear if you can find it. An older Marantz 2215 or 2230 receiver would do well, as would an old NAD 3020. Early '70s Kenwood receivers, like the KR-5150, are hard to find, but they're excellent sounding units as well. I'm listening to a pair of A-25s (the A-35s' older and smaller brother) right now and they sound great through a conrad johnson MF-80 amplifier and Musical Fidenly preamp, but that's fairly expensive stuff. Avoid black plastic stuff from the '80s and '90s...it tends to sound quite hard through the midrange. The newer NAD gear is said to be good as well, but try to find reviews on the web and opt for one said to have a softer, more musical sound.

Best,

Horse

Hi everybody,

As my amplifier stopped working few days ago (a Marantz PM30), I started to check what are those pair of old speakers I received from my dad...and it turns out to be a pair of A35 Dynaco !

I didn't know nothing about those still an hour ago ! And thanks to the net, I realize that it's quite a good pair of speakers I've here (I'd already noticed they sounded good though !!)

for the little story : my dad bought them as he was a pilot for the french army in Germany (Ramstein base) in the early 70's and I still have them now...part of my past, we've more or less the same age !!

I've 3 questions :

*What kind of amplifier would you advise me to get that would suit well with those old speakers ? I'm wondering wether the sound delivered by a new amp wouldn't be too "agressive" ? I wanted to buy a NAD C315BEE because not too expensive and have a good reputation...someone as a better idea ? I really like the look of old silver amp (Denon, Marantz...) but I don't have the knowledge to know what is worth to be bought.

*Even if they seems to be in good condition, is there things to do so that they keep on getting "old" well ?

Eudes.

I forgot to mention the Kenwood KA-3500 amplifier. They go for a song on eBay and are very nice late '70s Kenwood units. You'll probably need a can of Deoxit to clean up the contacts on the bass, treble and volume controls (so they're not scratchy), but they're very nice sounding and clean looking. I use one as a backup.

Hi everybody,

I've 3 questions :

Eudes.

Archived