901 Series II

Guest Bass1

Hi all, I just aquired an old pair of Bose 901 Series II speakers and the grill cloth is badly stained on both of them. It's the open weave light beige burlap type of material. I've looked eveywhere and can't find a match. I can get close with a light brown "Mesa Boogie" replacement grill cloth but it's very expensive and alot darker than the originals. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Hi all, I just aquired an old pair of Bose 901 Series II speakers and the grill cloth is badly stained on both of them. It's the open weave light beige burlap type of material. I've looked eveywhere and can't find a match. I can get close with a light brown "Mesa Boogie" replacement grill cloth but it's very expensive and alot darker than the originals. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Since I'm talkin' to myself here I thought I'd post the finished re-do on the grill cloth. Found a very close burlap type match to the originals at a local fabric warehouse for $5.00 (3 yards worth). The grills were hideous looking before and the visual uglyness was physcologically detrimental to the listening experience. Now they sound as clean as a 3 pea whistle!! :D

post-103918-1233730323.jpg

What you might try to do (if cleaning the existing grill is impossible) is find a grill cloth similar to AR's famous beige-linen grill (see image from a 1972 AR-LST). This material is similar to the 901 grill material, but it does not have the thick knots and other surface irregularities of the 901 grill. However, whatever grill you chose, you should be able to hold a piece up to the light and see approximately 50% light through the weave. Anything like that should work satisfactorily. The AR grill material should be easily stapled to the Bose 901 frame, which would then be reattached to the 901. Alternatively, you can remove the existing grill material from the frame and have it dry-cleaned. If it doesn't self-destruct at the cleaners, it should be suitable for re-installation.

--Tom Tyson

What you might try to do (if cleaning the existing grill is impossible) is find a grill cloth similar to AR's famous beige-linen grill (see image from a 1972 AR-LST). This material is similar to the 901 grill material, but it does not have the thick knots and other surface irregularities of the 901 grill. However, whatever grill you chose, you should be able to hold a piece up to the light and see approximately 50% light through the weave. Anything like that should work satisfactorily. The AR grill material should be easily stapled to the Bose 901 frame, which would then be reattached to the 901. Alternatively, you can remove the existing grill material from the frame and have it dry-cleaned. If it doesn't self-destruct at the cleaners, it should be suitable for re-installation.

--Tom Tyson Tom , Thanks for the suggestions. It's kind of a coincidence that you mentioned the AR grill cloth as my brother commented last night that the new grill cloths I installed "Looks like the old AR grill cloths"! (We're both old foggies :) ) I tried cleaning the old grill cloth with K2R spot lifter and various carpet type cleaners and nothing would cut through the stains. They were glued and stapled to the frames and the grill cloth sort of disentegrated upon removal. All in all they look like new now and fill my garage/shop with ample sound. I'm currently using a 10 band stereo EQ to shape the sound and it does a decent job. I'm going to try a "BBE" processor on them instead of the EQ since I have one sitting here collecting dust just for grins. By the way, the big band stuff with acoustic bass makes these speakers come alive and my old Crosby, Stills and Nash stuff sounds just like I remember!

Archived