ads 910

Guest sandburr

Guest sandburr

I found a pair of ads 910 speakers at a garage sale this past weekend. I bought them along with a smaller set of ads bookshelf speakers and a set of Klipsh Cornwalls for 150 dollars. I am not an audiophile, but I know good stuff when I see it. The Cronwalls are in bad need of refinishing and missing the grills. The bookshelf ads speakers are in great shape and work perfectly, I just don't know what they are. The big 910's [ they weigh almost 100 lbs ! ] came with aluminum stands that bolt to the sides of the cabinets. Is this original of added later ? The 910's have crossovers in them with switches, terminal strips, and a changable card. Any info I can get on any of these will be much appriciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I found a pair of ads 910 speakers at a garage sale this past weekend. I bought them along with a smaller set of ads bookshelf speakers and a set of Klipsh Cornwalls for 150 dollars. I am not an audiophile, but I know good stuff when I see it. The Cronwalls are in bad need of refinishing and missing the grills. The bookshelf ads speakers are in great shape and work perfectly, I just don't know what they are. The big 910's [ they weigh almost 100 lbs ! ] came with aluminum stands that bolt to the sides of the cabinets. Is this original of added later ? The 910's have crossovers in them with switches, terminal strips, and a changable card. Any info I can get on any of these will be much appriciated.

Hi,

Spotted you post on the net looking for info on the ADS 910's. I would be interested in finding out more about this changeable card that you got with these units. A decription or even better a photo of the cards. I have three sets of these speakers and have been searching for parts namely the cards you are mentioning above. These speakers had options, bi-amp and tri-amp cards, I have been looking for these for years! They are very rare and I have never been able to find a set of these anyware! Let me know what you have, I would be interested to see. I would like to make a copy of one of these cards if I can get the info somewhere.

You can find downloadable info on your 910's from this link, check it out, if the link does not work for you, send me your e-mail and I will send you the link.

http://sportsbil.com/ads/

Chris

ckaas@wavecable.com

Guest sandburr

Thanks for reply. Will post up some pics after Thanksgiving. And A big thanks for that info. These speakers are only OK as 5.1 surround mains but are AMAZING as 2 channel music speakers.

• 4 months later...
Guest Gerry S
Hi,

Spotted you post on the net looking for info on the ADS 910's. I would be interested in finding out more about this changeable card that you got with these units. A decription or even better a photo of the cards. I have three sets of these speakers and have been searching for parts namely the cards you are mentioning above. These speakers had options, bi-amp and tri-amp cards, I have been looking for these for years! They are very rare and I have never been able to find a set of these anyware! Let me know what you have, I would be interested to see. I would like to make a copy of one of these cards if I can get the info somewhere.

You can find downloadable info on your 910's from this link, check it out, if the link does not work for you, send me your e-mail and I will send you the link.

http://sportsbil.com/ads/

Chris

ckaas@wavecable.com

Guest Gerry S

These 910 stands were "optional" and served two purposes: to get the system at "ear level" for a seated listener and to provide proper "time arival" of the sound coming from the woofers, midrange and tweeter by tilting the speakers.

I don't recommend the bi-amp or tri-amp cards because the cost of the additional electronic crossovers and power amplifiers necessary to get the unit functioning exceeds the cost of the speakers. These speakers have high quality components in the built-in crossover circuit. The crossover circuit has been optimized by speaker engineers using lab grade instrumentation specifically for this system.

If you elect to bi or tri-amp these speakers, the built in crossover designed specifically for this combination of drivers would NOT be used. You must then make a multitude of adjustments to the external electonic crossovers and power amplifiers to "get it right". Unless you have quality lab grade test equipment, you stand a greater chance of "deproveing" or damaging the drivers (probably both) than improving it.

I recommend a huge power amp instead. The cost and simplicity of a single large power amp will probably provide all the "improvement" you need.

• 2 years later...

These 910 stands were "optional" and served two purposes: to get the system at "ear level" for a seated listener and to provide proper "time arival" of the sound coming from the woofers, midrange and tweeter by tilting the speakers.

I don't recommend the bi-amp or tri-amp cards because the cost of the additional electronic crossovers and power amplifiers necessary to get the unit functioning exceeds the cost of the speakers. These speakers have high quality components in the built-in crossover circuit. The crossover circuit has been optimized by speaker engineers using lab grade instrumentation specifically for this system.

If you elect to bi or tri-amp these speakers, the built in crossover designed specifically for this combination of drivers would NOT be used. You must then make a multitude of adjustments to the external electonic crossovers and power amplifiers to "get it right". Unless you have quality lab grade test equipment, you stand a greater chance of "deproveing" or damaging the drivers (probably both) than improving it.

I recommend a huge power amp instead. The cost and simplicity of a single large power amp will probably provide all the "improvement" you need.

I give up, this is not a viable place to discuss vintage ADS. Signing off.

Archived