H.H. Scott s-120 floorstanding

Guest billohno

Guest billohno

My 1988 Scott S-120 woofers (12") have bitten the dust and I need to replace them. I have no idea if they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. Any ideas? Stamped on the magnet: H.H. Scott, Inc., 022-1130-085, 91 8642

I've searched everywhere and just discovered this forum. Thank you!

Bill O'

Vermont

• 5 months later...
My 1988 Scott S-120 woofers (12") have bitten the dust and I need to replace them. I have no idea if they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. Any ideas? Stamped on the magnet: H.H. Scott, Inc., 022-1130-085, 91 8642

I've searched everywhere and just discovered this forum. Thank you!

Bill O'

Vermont

Hi Bill, and welcome.

You can easily measure the DC resistance of the system with a cheap ohm meter. Use the lowest ohms scale and make sure it is adjusted so that touching the leads reads zero. If it is a digital meter then note the measurement with leads shorted and subtract it from the reading.

Measure directly across the red and black terminal. The only DC path through a multiway system is via the woofer. The woofer impedance is generally quoted as the system impedance. A 4 ohm system will measure a little lower, perhaps 3 ohms DC. An 8 ohm system might measure 6 ohms DC.

Regards,

David

Of course, now I've really read your question and see you are talking about damaged woofers outside the cabinet!

Still try and measure the coil DCR. If the coils have been broken or burnt, you might be able to dissect the woofers and find the end of the wire at a break and then measure from there.

Important! If by "bit the dust" you mean the foam surrounds have decayed, then new surrounds can be attached and this is a much better route than reconing or a generic replacement.

david

Archived