KLH 6 Questions/advice

Guest Qoognish

Guest Qoognish

I have a pair that have the epoxied drivers. I understand there is a way to recap by expanding the hole behind the back plate. I just don't want to bother unless necessary. The speakers sound good as is, It's hard to believe there's an improvement. I also read somewhere that Kloss put in oil filled caps on the early models with the philosophy that they should never need replacement. Anyone know more about this?

Also, will my Marantz 2215B (15WPC) be a good match for these?

I'm new to this forum, and the search wasn't cooperating. If anyone has pics/inof of cutting the hole etc. that'd be great. Also, any info on what the best Caps to use would be appreciated. I only want to do this once (in the next 20 years) if I can help it.

Thanks,

AQ

Yes the early caps were high quality oil filled military surplus units, and should holds up very well. If you want to get inside the cabinet it involves cutting a hole. The opening behind the back plate will be rather small...too small for most peoples hands. Some of the later model sixes with epoxied woofers had screw in tweeters and access is possible here, but the opening is still only about a 4" circle.

My model Sixes were made in 1958 and still sound fantastic (all original). If yours sound good in the high frequenies...i'd leave them alone.

"The Six" as Henry Kloss called them, is a really nice speaker. They were about $250. a pair new, but performed as well as more expensive speakers.

Archived