AR14 tweeter damage

Guest Irvine Short

Guest Irvine Short

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get myself a pair of AR14s very cheaply on the weekend - the equivalent of US$40.00

The woofer foam surrounds have been replaced and the cabinets are in good condition apart from a coffee mug stain on one of them.

Only problem is that the dome on one of the tweeters is damaged, with a few dents and a small hole in it.

It works but is giving me some annoying distortion that I can hear in some but not all music. Piano recitals are the worst, female vocals a close second. It's like there is something loose and vibrating inside the piano. My wife can't hear it though, so it's not that bad.

Is there anything I can try to repair it? will it help to try and seal that small hole?

Other than that, I am well impressed with my new purchase.

All hints and tips gratefully received.

Cheers,

--Irvine

Guest toneguy

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get myself a pair of AR14s very cheaply on the weekend - the equivalent of US$40.00

The woofer foam surrounds have been replaced and the cabinets are in good condition apart from a coffee mug stain on one of them.

Only problem is that the dome on one of the tweeters is damaged, with a few dents and a small hole in it.

It works but is giving me some annoying distortion that I can hear in some but not all music. Piano recitals are the worst, female vocals a close second. It's like there is something loose and vibrating inside the piano. My wife can't hear it though, so it's not that bad.

Is there anything I can try to repair it? will it help to try and seal that small hole?

Other than that, I am well impressed with my new purchase.

All hints and tips gratefully received.

I don't think the dents or hole is the problem, more likely the VC is rubbing in the gap...it doesn't take much to sound bad. I would pull it out and

test it seperatly (use a cap) to eliminate x-over/connection problems. I solder ALL connections...cheap upgrade. It really helps to have an audio signal generator!.

Guest Irvine Short
I don't think the dents or hole is the problem, more likely the VC is rubbing in the gap...it doesn't take much to sound bad. I would pull it out and

test it seperatly (use a cap) to eliminate x-over/connection problems. I solder ALL connections...cheap upgrade. It really helps to have an audio signal generator!.

Thanks for the tips - I will try it out.

I was just thinking... I have been out of the the electronics game for nearly 20 years but I still remember a thing or two, and I reckon soldering is like riding a bicycle. I can still solder well when I need to.

I never owned an audio signal generator and my only oscilloscope is long in the graveyard.

However, I do have laptop which should make a perfectly serviceable tone generator and audio oscilloscope - albeit uncalibrated voltage-wise. Does anyone know if there is any good, free software to turn my laptop into a 'scope and signal generator?

Finally, should the VC be rubbing in the gap, could anything be done about it?

Cheers,

--Irvine

Archived