Replace woofer on AR-2

Guest dbradley

Guest dbradley

I got considerable assistance from this site once before on a pair of KLH-6's. Now my 24 year old son (like father.....) found a pair of AR-2's in Manhattan and purchased them. He was very happy with their sound, until he managed to blow a woofer on one of them. I have not seen the speakers yet. He says there is no obvious way to get into them.

So I have three questions:

1) Any chance something else happened other than blowing the woofer that would affect the woofer's sound?

2) Does anyone have a replacement AR-2 woofer for sale? Did AR change the specs on the woofers over the life of the model?

3) If I had a replacement woofer, how would I get inside to make the repair?

I checked the latest 20 of the 84 AR pages and did not find answers for these questions. If there is information on this in an earlier positing/responses, let me know. I will continue to look as I have time.

I got considerable assistance from this site once before on a pair of KLH-6's. Now my 24 year old son (like father.....) found a pair of AR-2's in Manhattan and purchased them. He was very happy with their sound, until he managed to blow a woofer on one of them. I have not seen the speakers yet. He says there is no obvious way to get into them.

So I have three questions:

1) Any chance something else happened other than blowing the woofer that would affect the woofer's sound?

2) Does anyone have a replacement AR-2 woofer for sale? Did AR change the specs on the woofers over the life of the model?

3) If I had a replacement woofer, how would I get inside to make the repair?

I checked the latest 20 of the 84 AR pages and did not find answers for these questions. If there is information on this in an earlier positing/responses, let me know. I will continue to look as I have time.

1) Doubt of something else happened. There's just a simple copper wire inductor in series with it.

2) ABtech Services offers a replacement for about $80

3) Not aware of any problems getting into any AR speakers. Those early KLH 6's are a different story. Remove the staples on the grille if not done so already and gently pry it loose with a putty knife around the edge. This takes much patience and time to complete successfully without damaging the grille frame. Once off, remove the screws on the woofer and pry it up.

Archived