model 23 caps

Guest Chet6119

Guest Chet6119

Thank all of you for what I have already learned here.

I have owned a pair of 20s for most of my life. I have had them connected to my recently overhauled Dynakit that my dad built in '62. I went with a friend of mine to look at some 17s I found on creigslist for him, because he loved my 20s so much. Well, the guy had a pair of 23s also and they were in perfect cosmetic shape (unlike my 20s) and sounded good so they came home with me.

They had replacement tweets so I did a search and ended up here.

I am about to replace the caps and put the tweets from my 20s in the 23s. I found a post here about 23s that said:

"Why is there simply a 4 mfd. cap and 3 resistors on a rotary switch for decrease-normal-increase ? I find it hard to believe the woofer is operating way up in the midrange to 3000-4000cps. The KLH 6 crosses over @ 1500 cps using an 8 mfd. cap and 2-2 mfd. caps and the 3 resistors too.

At first I thought someone had played with the crossovers , but a second pair of 23's are identical . I'm puzzled because they shouldn't sound that good !

Dave"

Mine have the 4 mfd. cap and the 3 resistors but there is also a "new" 2.2 mfd cap between the switch and the tweet. Before I go ordering caps is this correct? To my ear and the use of a parametric eq, I find that they are about 4db low in about an octave range center on the crossover point which I fount to be at about 1.7 khz. (I used pink noise and swept the frequency on the eq to find the crossover point and did an A B test with my 20s which showed the octave deficit.)

Would someone let me know if the 2.2 mfd cap is correct.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Chet6119

Mark,

Thank you. I just received my order of new Capacitors end of last week and I am going to work on the 23s this weekend. I'll won't replace the 2.2 caps. When I am done with the restoration I will post my results.

Chet

You should like the 23's a very robust speaker with the same woofer and cabinet volume as the model five (5 lb. magnet !). Very solid bass response. KLH's best two-way speaker in 1968-72 at $160. each.

The 23's are a bit of a sleeper in the market place, often selling for much less then the models 17,20,24 which are much less of a speaker.

I found a set of four put out for trash, in great condition ! Love em !

Archived