Advent Baby II Woofer Replacement

Guest lapowers57

Guest lapowers57

I have just aquired a pair of Advent Baby II's and found the the woofer on one of them is not good. I can see no physical problems with cones or foam but certain frequencies sound like they are coming through a kazoo. Since I am not very knowledgable about speakers and my google searches have not yielded the information that I need I have come to the site that has the largest number of Advent experts on it.

I am trying to decide if I should replace just the bad woofer or replace the pair.

Questions:

Is there a way to determine if the woofers currently installed are original? Each woofer has two numbers on them but no other markings

identifying the maker.

Assuming they are original is replacing just the bad woofer with an oem replacement a reasonalbe way to go? Is there a good source for

oem parts that someone can suggest?

Does anyone know where I can find the specs on the origianl woofers so I can try and find a third party woofer that would have similar

characteristics.

If I decide to replace both woofers is there a currently made 6.5 inch woofer that would be an exact match or an improvement over the

originals? I am a casual user of older hi fi equipment and while I would have enjoyed having these be original Advent speakers. if I

have to do some work on them I don't mind modifiying their performance for the better.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If your BABY II box is about 1/2 cubic foot internal volume then most 6.5 inch woofers will do fine. Check Parts Express for what they have to offer. Since your speaker is acoustic suspension, look for replacements with a Fs/Qes ratio of <=50. Thay also have a pretty good tech service help line.

Archived