AR-3 Schematics

johnieo

The crossover wiring of the AR-3 has always been confusing, as AR made myriad changes during the course of its production. Tom Tyson graciously shared original AR drawings and communications that were necessary to make sense out of the schematics we have all seen posted over the years. Tom and I put these in temporal sequence and Mark has kindly added our note to the AR-3 schematics section of the library. At some point, Tom intends to write a treatise on the AR-3; at that time, the crossover schematics should become its appendix. Meanwhile, we hope this note (added to the AR Library on 8/02) will help those who are restoring the AR-3, but observed differences in what they found in their cabinets and what has been posted. Thanks to Tom Tyson for sharing the original documents that made this possible.

Cheers,

Agreed, those old AR3 schematics in the library are indeed confusing. I solved that problem recently by removing those early design dome tweets and mids and replaced with spare 3a tweeters, mids and appropriate crossover components. I guess if someone wants to restore an AR3 to original with those early design dome mids and tweeters they must be giving up some resolution.

I was quite surprised, however, to find some very old Ohmite rheostats (RHS15 types) in these. First I've ever seen and no covers to keep the fiberglass out of the wiper area.

Archived