comparisons

Guest ARman

Guest ARman

Has anyone compaired the AR9s with other AR speaker? my first pair was a second hand AR4s B4 they were heard of in the UK once i heard them i knew this IS the speakers i always wanted then a new pair of AR5 (had new wiring n original pots for the tweeters to give up soon after) then a pair of AR48s till i saw a pair of AR9s on Ebay in Exeter n drove from London there to get them n i feel is still the best speaker i have ever heard

Mine are the once without the switches to degrees the DBs in 3DB steps on the tweeters n i believe are the newer types with 10" down firing unit all other units are front facing a 12" an 8" a tweeter n super tweeter then i bought a pair of AR14s in perfect condition on Ebay again BUT i just can't bring myself to part with any AR speakers even the AR9s are just so good i do not listen to the other pairs i have compaired them all to the AR9s but not one comes that close ever i like them all

in cmparison the 5s do have distortion also less range top n bottom a little muddled the 14s lack in both ends very sweet sound some distortion the 48s a little more range than the 14s but is some distortion n less range in direct comparison to the AR9s when i turn it UP listening to WHO'S next or the shadows specially the bass drums n Guitar then nothing comes close to the AR9s perfect sound over the whole frequency range

am not sure how the LSTs will fair in direct comparison to the AR9s but i think they will have their share of distortion i found the 5s have am sure the AR3s do (same just 12" instead of 10")

love to hear what you guys thought of any comparison with the AR9s?

Regards ARman

Guest 1080i

I have a pair of AR-9's and they are very very good. They "fill" the room with sound easily. While some other speakers I have sound good, they are more like a smaller sound source sitting at one end of my listening room when compared to the spacious sounds reproduced by the AR-9's. And this is at ANY volume level. "Masterful reproducer" is what comes to mind with the AR-9's. They take whatever you feed them and spread a beautiful, open soundstage in front of you.

I own, and have compared them to:

AR-91 (purchased new in 1981)

AR-3a (two pair)

AR-5 (purchased new in 1975)

TSW-510

JBL 4311B

All speakers except the JBL's have been restored with new surrounds and caps and cabinet finish within the past 4 years.

I also have AR-7's and AR-4x and had a pair of AR-4xa's, plus I have Large Advent, and Smaller Advent, and another pair of JBL's. These are in a different class, not comparable to the AR-9.

The AR-91's compare very favorably with the AR-9's in overall sonic character, but they do sound like a slightly smaller "box." The 91 is still an excellent speaker, and a notch above the 3a in treble response. The cabinet size is nice in a living room if you can't tolerate the "refrigerator bulk" of the AR-9, and the cabinet styling is a little nicer than the 3a "box." I do like the AR-91 second-best. The 91's bass is somewhat less than "room-filling," but it is still a nicely balanced sound.

Interestingly, the AR-3a bass sounds most like the 9 in my opinion. Very deep and full, but with the 3a being a little "woolly" and the 9 being tighter and more defined. Both are very acceptable, like a slightly different flavor of chocolate.

For me, overall I rate the speakers I use regularly in this order, "best" to "good:"

AR-9

AR-91

AR-3a

TSW-510 (very good, but a little bright)

JBL 4311B (very analytical. tiring to my ears)

AR-5 (REALLY nice on some music, but needs a treble tone control boost.)

Having said all that, I must commit a sin and say that the stacked Double-Advent idea that was cooked up back in the 1970's (probably just to sell more speakers) is really impressive. I had two pair of Large Advents in the house last year and tried this setup. They don't have the clarity of the AR-9, but can hold their own compared to almost anything else.

I'll admit that I don't own or listen to any trendy, modern, boutique speakers. I know there are many modern designs out there that sound great. I'm only comparing what I own/have borrowed, and I prefer vintage 1970's and 1980's speakers.

Thanks for reading.

Archived